Crowd funding

So I've bitten the bullet, no doubt some will take the piss but so be it. I have set up a crowd funding page to try and raise enough money to run a caft stall and workshop primarily for men. As some know Miss A is a dab hand with a needle and thread and I have picked up enough to be competent enough to attempt to make shirts, waistcoats, bunting and my detritus brand mice. I am hoping to run the stall in the new year twice a month and offer brief lessons to people on simple sewing so stitching a split, patches, zips the stuff you should know but some don't. I would also like to offer more in depth lessons on making shirts and waistcoats. All lessons will be free. At the end of each one I will give away a small sewing kit. It should be self serving by selling things on the stall I can reinvest in getting more fabrics and offering more lessons. It might sound daft and maybe I'm a idiot for trying but it's something I'm good at. I've taken a few weeks thinking about it and trying to get the crowd funding page correct. It goes live friday afternoon and the person who advised me from crowd funding uk said try and get 30% of the total needed before tweeting about it as if it says zero when I first put it out to the general public people will think it's crap and not worth donating to. Problem is I don't know that many people so if amyone feels like donating anything feel free, the deal with crowd funding is it's a one shot deal, all or nothing. Even if you are a fiver short but out of time (28 days) you get nothing you have to hit your target. The rules are I have to give anyone who does donate a thank you/gift there are different levels depending on how much. But anyone from sg.org who does will get a hand made catnip or lavender mouse made by me and anyone who has met me will know just what an incongruous sight seeing me surrounded by fabric with a needle in my paw. I think I need to say pledges over a fiver or I might find myself making 100's of mice having raised only £12.58. Just drop me a line if you do and I shall get sewing. And I might regret this but what do you think of the idea? It might be lowbrow but worth a try. I hope this is ok Arkady? If it's not please take it down I don't wish to break the rules. Detritus.

Comments

• I've already said I want more chaps crafting and I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is, as it were. So please add a link and I will contribute. I haven't got a cat anymore but the neighbour's cats are very demanding when it comes to catnip toys, and I've seen Miss A's mices. So I've got quite high expectations...
  • edited July 2014
    Lol for the last 3 years they have been my mice. But thank you.
  • Detrtius I am in. I would love to improve my sewing skills. Actually I dont have any skills and it is a very good idea. How much do I doante?<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Good stuff!<div><br></div><div>Can we see some mice pictures?  I'm in the market for a new waistcoat, too.</div>
  • A non-committal yes from me.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • The link to the crowd funding page, it's now live and ready to go.  You will see there are different rewards for different levels of donations.  But as I said anyone from sg.org who donates will get a free mouse regardless of amount or if successful. I can't tell you how nervous I am about this. Putting myself out there with a project to be shot at is something new for me. So a big thank you to everyone. If anyone thinks the rewards need to be changed to a different level again please let me know as the more feedback and ideas I get the better. http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/market-stall-and-free-sewing-workshop-for-men-
  • edited July 2014
    Not sure if this will work, but if it does there should be a photo of Poppy loving her catnip mouse. You can't actually see the mouse that well because she's loving it quite a bit. <div><br></div><div>ETA: it didn't work. Does the site not recognise pic links from Google Plus?<br><div><br></div></div>
  • Thanks Idoru much appreciated Annie and I will respond to your bike ride later today she has been doing 14h days so has had no time.
  • Backed this - sounds like a great idea.  Do be sure to let everybody know how it's going, especially if you're close to making it as the deadline approaches. 
  • edited July 2014
    Just seen you have Duncan and Idoru so a huge thank you both. If I could be cheeky and ask if you have twitter could you tweet the link at some point I would be grateful, it's all about networking I guess and I have a very small circle of friends so the more people who spread the word the better. I feel like some kind of evangelical preacher. If you send me a inbox message I shall drop your mouse around asap. Just let me know if you want a catnip or lavender. Thanks again.
  • Well it's just gone live on twitter, so just got to wait and see. <div><br></div><div>So thanks again  </div>
  • Made a pledge. Looking forward to learning some sewing skills. My finger coordination skills are auful 
  • Thank you so much Sutent and hoppingmad. It is at 9% with 6 backers, so looking good.
  • And a big thank you to minim as well.