Broadband - anyone on Plusnet or Talktalk?

Having been notified of BT's latest price rise (doubtless to fund its 'free' sports channel), I think it's time to jump ship. BT and Talktalk look like the best deals financially, but is the service any good around here? I feel the need to check lest I end up with something as shoddy as the local Virgin service.

Comments

• I have had virgin for a decade now. Superb service and price is awesome. I can't believe the value for money I get and you get free tube wifi 
  • We're on talk talk.<br>Minus: The network goes down repeatedly, often a few times a day (this is a problem).  Customer services seems non-existent.  The router is old, they never upgrade it and it doesn't reach very far (minor).<br>Plus: The network nearly always comes back up straight away after a reboot.  Bandwidth is usually fine, even though we don't have fibre (Netflix is good).  Price is cheap: not just what's advertise but what we actually pay - they do try to sell you up onto longer deals, but they don't seem to trap you onto them.<br>Conclusion: Worth buying for the cheap price if you can live with the annoyance of having to reboot - easier if you are in a small flat (because having to reboot from the same room is no problem but going downstairs is annoying!)  You may not have this problem, of course.<br><br>My father-in-law, who lives with us, has been on BT.<br>Minus: The broadband mysteriously exceeds the usage cap (even when he was in hospital - only disconnecting from the wall prevents).  They try to keep you captive by refusing to let you leave, claiming you are committed when your contract is up and claiming you're renting stuff you've never heard of.  They seem to prey on the elderly.<br>Plus: The box is great with a strong signal.  The internet seems to be reliable (but not so well tested as the talk talk one).  You can get wireless in all sorts of places.  My brother says the reliability is fantastic and he's happy - but he had a business reason to require reliable broadband at home and so will pay £35pcm without blinking to get the best service.<br>Conclusion: They'll probably treat you right if you're signed up for a higher price service.  But they will try to trap you into paying more.  Don't trust any price below £20 pcm plus line rental.<br><br>Obviously those are extrapolating our experiences and others may have a different view.
  • I'm on the unlimited BT, so that's not a problem, and I know for a fact we can leave within 30 days of price rise notification. Plusnet doesn't sound that great, though, given this is a maisonette so rebooting does mean a trip downstairs (and the signal needs to reach my room). Thanks!
  • I was on TalkTalk in my flat. It's cheap, but I think I probably spent more time on the phone trying to sort out the connection having gone down again than I actually using the internet. Virgin isn't perfect, but it's much better than my experience with TalkTalk. Also, every time they try to put the price up, boyfriend phones them up to have a go and we end up with more stuff for the old price.