TAKE A HIKE

I need to do some training for a long-distance walk, so am going to walk into work in the West End. Anyone else do this, and has a favourite route? Also, any interesting five-mile, 10-mile circular walk suggestions from Stroud Green?<br>

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I'd recommend you walk towards the junction of SGR and Tollington Park, turn onto Tollington Park.  Walk towards Hornsey road, turn left down and follow it onto the Emirates stadium onto Benwell road, swing a right past the Central Library across Holloway road onto Maras place into Sheringham road, then turn left onto Westbourne road. Follow this onto Thornhill road onto Barnsbury road, across Pentonville road, onto Amwell road. At the end turn right and I'll leave it up to you to discover the rest as I tend to finish here on my cycle to work.  It's pleasant and there isn't much traffic and you pass Islington at its best.<div><br></div><div>I'd also recommend canal walks at the weekend.  You can take a train to the outskirts of London on the oyster and walk circular on the Grand Union.  I'm training for the Camino de Santiago in May and tend to do long walks like this.</div>
  • edited January 2015
    <div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>From Stroud Green I'd recommend the New River Walk, but it is a  bit frustrating as the river disappears a lot.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited January 2015
    http://shelford.org/walks/newriver.pdf   <div><br></div><div>Sorry couldn't seem to upload it on the previous post.</div>
  • If you follow the London Loop down the Parkland Walk, it will take you through Stoke Newington and Tottenham Marshes and Epping Forest and all places south and east across the river down into hostile territory (South London).  You can get back by bus or tube.  Eventually if you just keep going, you'll come back on yourself.  Did it once.   (Takes a long time though).  Look it up.
  • From Central Library I tended to go Liverpool Road and then through Clerkenwell, or else sidestep through Barnsbury (though that has the downside of Cally Road before you get to the West End).
  • I used to cycle down Liverpool Road but taking the nicer route through Barnsbury is better. <div><br></div><div>Agaton Sax.  It's usual for people to say thank you when you've asked for advice and people try to help you.  Manners.</div>
  • I don't suppose you've considered the possibility that Agaton hasn't been back since he asked the question? Not everyone checks in every day.
  • We've walked in twice along the main roads (FP-Highbury-Angel-West End) and even that is interesting.<br><br>If you're looking for walks off road the Lea Valley canal is interesting.  You can walk out to the canal without too many roads (Parkland Walk-FP-Clissold-Stoke Newington Graveyard) and then down to the Olympic Park or go towards central London (I think there's a section between Angel and Kings X you can't navigate)  <span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">As the canal is linear I think it's better to cheat and catch the train back.  </span>For an epic circle you could continue along the canal from Kings X to  Camden, walk up the hill onto Hampstead Heath, come out near Highgate and finish off on the Parkland Walk.  <br><br>If you're going North the bit between the N Circular and M25 is a bit boring so I recommend either catching the W3 back from Northumberland Park (it starts about 5-10 mins walk from the canal) or going out into Hertfordshire.  There's rail stops not that far from the canal every 3 miles or so once you are past the M25, so if you are fit and have all day, it could be fun to set out from home early in the morning and see how far you get before dusk.
  • edited February 2015
    Yes, the thought did arise in my mind.  Or perhaps he/she was involved in an accident or beamed up to a spaceship.  (attempt at humour, like the other day about the jumpers over shirts).  Well on a serious note you are right and who knows what's happened in his/her life since then.  
  • edited February 2015
    If you catch the train to Uxbridge pic/vic line to Kings Cross then Metropolitan line there. You pass by Denham Lakes  Offpeak it's about £3 or so.  Walk to Rickmansworth, then get the metroplitan line back to kings cross.  About an 8 mile walk.  Coxley to Apsley along the the Grand Union is lovely too.  Again pic/vic via KX to Coxley. From Apsley £4 single to watford junction, then oyster via willesden junction and gospel oak to Crouch Hill.  Problem is they're often doing up the overground at the weekend.  I was planning on walking from Apsley to Tring but couldn't be bothered with the faff of replacement buses.  Went to Ladbroke Grove instead to the market and walked back.  Lovely walk.
  • Yes, Croxley, near Watford.  Meant to edit that.  Thanks for the reminder.
  • In the Autumn, I went from a walk from Broxbourne station (via train from Tottenham Hale) down the Lea River to back to Tottenham Hale. I think this was around 12 miles but we detoured to see Waltham Abbey so probably a bit more than that.<div><br></div><div>To walk into town, the 29 bus route through Camden is roughly the most direct, but not the most pleasant. I prefer walking a route that roughly parallels the 19 bus: St  Thomas's Road, Highbury Hill, Highbury Fields, either Upper Street or Liverpool Road, Myddleton square Amwell Street, Rosebery Avenue, Theobald's road and so on.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • <p>You might gte soem ideas from this</p><p> </p><p><a href="http://walkit.com/cities/london/">http://walkit.com/cities/london/</a></p><p> </p><p>There apps  as well as the web site </p>
  • Apologies Kreuzkav, have only just been returned from the alien probing on the spaceship. Thanks, everyone, for suggestions, will get a map and start plotting my perambulations! <br>
  • Arkady, you're right, this is my first time back. Busy week at the coalface.<br> <br>
  • @Agiton Sax.  Is the 'coal face' a new name for a black hole?   Hope you find the information useful.