Competition

edited May 2007 in About this site
Just stumbled across this <http://www.islington.org.uk/>;

Comments

• edited 5:19AM
    I'm in Harringey. I laugh in the face of Islington.
    Did you see what's on there....????

Author: Greg Prachar (---.proxy.aol.com)
    Date: 07/04/2007 07:19

All,

As a regular visitor to UK, I am constantly wrong on my pronounciation of local names. Is Islington "Is-ling-ton" or "Eye-ling-ton" I will will be visiting there soon and would like to honor you locals with, at least, the ability to say the name of your area properly.

Thanks,

Greg Prachar
    Los Angeles - US
    Can you tell me the way to F-eye-nsbury Park, please?
    You joke, but it's a common in-joke with my friends about the American on Tunbridge Station...

"Excuse me, do you know the way to Ca-Noely Park?"
    "Where?"
    "Ca-noely Park?"
    "Knole Park?"
    "Whatever"
    Aw, I like Greg, at least he's making the effort.
    I had some people over from the States that found place names like Barking, Tooting and Dorking hilarious.
    I once had a very rude American guy talking down to me over the phone at work.

He then told me (in his most condescending voice) that he could be contacted at the Gross-ven-our Hotel

He wasn't quite so high and mighty after I laughed at him.
  • edited June 2007
    I was once hiring a boat at the Okefenokee nature reserve in Georgia and I had to give an address, so I just said 'blah blah blah, London', and she filled in 'France' on the end of the form. She also had the biggest bottom I have ever seen on an almost normally proportioned person - it must have weighed at least as much as she did.