Child care in N4

Can anyone recommend a good local child minder or nursery in the Finsbury Park/Stroud Green/Crouch End area for a 1 year old? I don't need one until March 2016 but know that places at the good ones get booked up very quickly.

Comments

• North Islington Nursery on Tollington Park is great, I highly recommend it. They are very over subscribed and accept children based on distance from the nursery rather than length of time on a waiting list so you might want to think about how close you are to it before applying for a place. <br>
  • North Islington is no good if you're the Haringey side of Stroud Green though as they prioritise Islington residents and you basically won't get a place.  I can really recommend Little Stars nursery just off Stapleton Hall Road, though it only takes them till age 2.  After that they're supposed to transfer to Starshine, their sister nursery, but that's a fair way away.  I used  rainbow nursery at Stroud Green school instead and was happy with it.  It's cheaper too, though prices have risen lately.<br>
  • PS if you are Islington side though then Bowlers' nursery on the Ashmount school site looks lovely too.<br>
  • Try the family information service searches for Islington and Harringey. It will give you lists of childminders, nurseries etc for each borough and it's really helpful when calling around. I was making the calls a month ago and, being on the Harringey side of SG, none of the Islington nurseries - other than the really expensive private ones - would give me the time of day. There are also some good childminders locally, someone posted here recently recommending one http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/5421/my-excellent-childminder-is-looking-for-more-kids-to-look-after/p1
  • Excellent child minders run the stay and play at stroud green children centre (in stroud green primary) on Fridays - you could take your little one along for an hour or two and meet them. It's a nice way of seeing them in action. Once your child is two, Rainbow Nursery (again in the primary school) is brilliant - can't recommend it highly enough - caring environment and lovely staff.
  • Small person is at Hornsey Road nursery and seems happy there.
  • @nancyccampbell what time is the stay and play and is there an age limit? I was told that it was up to 18mths which is no good for my two. I struggle to find any info on it!
  • I take my three yr old there sometimes & she still likes it - mainly children from 18 months to three/four I'd say. Hmm definitely ends at 12 & I get there for ten but it starts earlier I think. It's well run & such a great resource, especially on a crap day way you're desperate to get out.
  • We use Bowlers, strongly recommend it (http://bowlersnursery.org/). PM me if you would like more details.<br>
  • Unfortunately I think the older stay and play has been cancelled recently - the Stroud Green Children's Centre list of activities looks very scarce and there's only the 0-18 months group listed - apparently the Ladder centre is the place to go now but I don't know if the Acorns group (run by the childminders) has moved there?  Their names were Karen and Sandra if that helps you find them on the childminder register.  Another childminder, Anna-Zhora, attended regularly too and I know she comes highly recommended but she lives off Endymion Road near Homebase, so depends if that works for you.  <div><br></div><div>I would really recommend Little Stars though if the Islington nurseries aren't options.  My daughter went when it had just opened and we loved it and I just had another look round and although it doesn't look quite as shiny as it did, the staff are the same and lovely (they remember my daughter) and I have signed my baby up to start there too.  </div>
  • Yes it's the acorns group I was thinking of - still there & great!
  • Small person is at the new-ish Hornsey Road Day Nursery and seems very happy there. 
  • Great, thank you, I will definitely pop in to the Acorns group on Friday. Do I just go to the<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> school reception?</span>
  • I was at Stroud Green School this morning and the Acorns group is definitely no longer on the timetable and the receptionist told me the other week that it's just the Thursday 0-18 month group now.  I'd be interested to know if that's wrong.  My daughter is at nursery on Friday mornings now but if it's still running over the Summer we might see you there!<div><br></div>
  • Oh that's weird and a shame - I was only there a few weeks ago & it seemed to be going strong. I'll double check & let you know.