Roman holiday

So this one is stretching the definition of local information, but I have the impression that there are quite a few Italy experts around! Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in Rome? Staying a few nights in mid-May, looking for mid-price, reasonably central, clean, friendly, all the usual ... Not for me, to my sorrow, but for a friend who has been asking for advice. Any ideas welcome. 

Comments

• Yes. Rome expert. Will DM you.
  • Not in slightest Rome expert, but have always liked the idea of staying in a convent: http://www.italiavai.com/italia/guide-turistiche/dormire-roma-dalle-suore.asp
  • edited April 2015
    @ Mirandola<div><br><div>These are not convents in the strict sense of the word, more like "hostels" which in term-time accommodate students, run by nuns (sometimes monks) who also occupy a small part of the premises.</div><div>Bit like student halls run by members of religious orders that get rented out to tourists in the holidays, when the students are not there,  and offer b&b and sometimes full or half board.</div><div>They are extremely  popular with pilgrims and get totally booked up up in spring/summer when the Vatican holds canonisations.</div><div><br></div><div>I suppose the issue for some may be that they all have a curfew... </div></div>
  • edited April 2015
    Not a Rome expert but stayed in St Bridget's convent on Campo di Fiori twice as a single lady and enjoyed it both times. I notice their reviews on trip advisor are mixed. I am not high maintenance so appreciated the lack of fuss. Location is excellent, rooms were lovely and there's a glorious roof terrace. No curfew, not run along the same lines as the above.
  • Sounds very exciting. I can offer 3 conventional b&b / self-catering arrangements, 2 close to the centre and one further out near the prison. The prison one is quite characterful and the plus point is all the bad guys are supposedly inside.
  • Thanks all, that's great! Not for a lady, unfortunately, so the convent idea probably won't work... But Krappy, if you could send me names of your suggestions, I'll pass them on and he can look them up. Many thanks.
  • There are monasteries that do the same, I think.
  • The convent I stayed at had mixed sex guests, mostly seemingly well off Brits and other Europeans. I must stress it was not 'hostelly' at all definitely more like a hotel. The church and nuns cloisters were separated, and the nuns ran the hotel part of the convent as a proper business. It was very good.
  • Hmm. The traveller in question is a militant atheist Iranian, so I think convents - even hotelly ones - would be a bit of a stretch! 
  • Stand by<div><br></div>