The Hopsmiths

edited July 2015 in Local discussion
You may have noticed it's been very quiet in The Noble this last week. Well, the regulars have all gone elsewhere. To The Shaftesbury and The Stapleton, mainly. The managers and the kitchen staff, who all resigned two weeks ago, have been treated atrociously by the owner. There are arguments about money and stock and so the owner is refusing to pay them their dues. This is exactly the same trick he's pulled on all his previous staff. He sacked all those, by the way. The last lot resigned when they saw the writing on the wall. So, in an act of solidarity, the regulars have taken their custom elsewhere. The current manager has been told why he has no customers. If the previous staff get their dues he might get some custom.

Comments

• Interesting, I did think it was deserted last weekend when I walked past.  Shame as I really liked the pub before they had the refurbishment - did they lose much custom as a result of that?
  • edited January 2016
  • Thanks, Poxy. Was wandering why it was dead.
  • blargh, what a mess.  just the latest in a long line of shoddy management behaviour since the totally unncessary (and awful) refurb.<div><br><div>shame as it was the nicest of the nearby options.<br></div></div>
  • The refurb was necessary on many counts, not least the kitchen and the loos needed improving. The main driver for the changes was the removal of the need to go thru the pub to access the upper floors of the building. The new corridor (with its access door in the wall fronting on to Sparsholt Road) across where the fireplace was now means the two upper floors have their own entrance way and can be let out (or sold) independent of the pub. I don't particular like the decor but it didn't bother me nor any of the regular clientele. I don't think there was any long-term reduction in custom as a result of the decor, just a very short blip due to the pub's reopening date skipping a few times.
  • <p>It was dead at about 7.30 on Saturday  two people plus me.</p><p>They had also run out of proper beer and  only had that fizzy Camden Brewery IPA stuff, not that  nice </p>
  • I am not a fan of the new decor (although the loo is less horrid), but worse is the fact that it's £1.75 for a fresh lime and soda.
  • Shaftesbury is the best pub in the area!
  • <p>Boycot seems to be holding up when I walked past on Saturday evening.</p><p> </p><p>They had an advert in the window looking for staff, don't know why as they have no customers </p><p> </p>
  • @PeterCrumb I'm a big fan of the Shaftesbury too - seems to have quietly wormed its way into my default option 
  • I came by the NOBLE Friday night and it was in darkness, I have since been told by a lady who lives in sparsholt road that it has been closed down.
  • Even in these dark Tory days there is people power.  I haven't been in there for years but credit to all the regulars who boycotted after what seems were terrible worker's rights.  You are wonderful people!
  • It's now been completely closed down. No doubt the owner will try to go to a change of licence and turn the whole thing into flats. 
  • edited June 2015
    The loss of The Noble would be bad news - regardless of the odd bump in the ride over the years, it's been a cracking spot for a drink in its day.<div><br></div><div>Good management could easily pick things up. </div>
  • Let's do a community buy-out
  • edited June 2015
    <p>I hope you have deep pockets!  I understand the required rent is £35,000 per annum with an £80,000 premium.  However, now that the boozer has been closed those costs must be negotiable.</p> <p>There was something on Twitter last week about the Craft Beer Co. looking for a site in the area.  </p>
  • edited July 2015
    Notices in the window declare that The Noble will re-open, possibly this Friday.<div><br></div><div>It appears to be a completely new operation... http://www.lateknightsbrewery.co.uk/blog</div><div><br></div><div>It seems the boycott is over.  <span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"> </span></div>
  • Amazing news! Late Knights are a great brewery too.<br>
  • Just checked out their site, that looks like fantastic news - I eagerly await the arrival.
  • Hi all, sorry to hear about all of the issues that have gone on in the recent past.  <div><br></div><div>This all happened very quickly for us (over the space of just a few weeks actually)</div><div><br></div><div>We have restocked with bar as quickly as we can - So all of the products have changed.  You'll see a bunch of our beers and lots of other small and london based keg and cask beers.  We are then going to close for a week or so (ideally in August) and make some changes to make this place the great local that it should be.</div><div><br></div><div>We will also be doing food, but this will take a bit of time to pull together - only a few weeks though.</div><div><br></div><div>Please do check out what people say about our other places, they are really nice and fit in well within the local community http://www.lateknightsbrewery.co.uk/bars.html</div><div><br></div><div>The drinks and food are well priced, and we bring along an ever changing cask and keg list, so you'll see some of the best breweries in the UK on the bar.  We only sell beer from small and independant breweries - but we always aim to cover all bases, and not charge silly prices!  </div><div><br></div><div>Anyway I guess the proof is in the pudding, so please do come along.  It might be a bit Heath Robinson for a few weeks as we cobble together new staff (who currently we are using from our other sites) and when we get the refurb done completely I'm hoping you will like what we do!</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks all</div><div>Steve</div>
  • <P>Thanks for the update.  I, for one, look forward to the pub re-opening.</P> <P>I've also renamed this thread.</P>
  • Welcome Steve. As you can see we're a very community minded bunch of regulars! A small request though. For those of us who aren't as keen on cask ales, can we have a request for a couple of decently priced wines and a lager! <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • <p>Keep the name</p><p>You will be rammed once you get going !</p><p>If your interested  in the  history  it started as  one of the orginal  half a dozen Weatherspoon Pubs back late last century in the early 80s and was called Marlers Bar. It  was complete revelation around here at the time.</p><p>In the early Noble days it  used to be a very good for food  (3rd best local Gastro pub in 2012)  and it would  be good to have that back </p><p> </p><p>Welcom to the area and the  very best of luck in your venture,  I will check  you out on Saturday </p>
  • edited July 2015
    I can't express strongly enough what excellent news this is. Beer Rebellion in Peckham is a wonderful, wonderful place. The gimmick is that you pick your glass size and design from a significant selection (pint, half pint, third of a pint, dimpled glass, straight, etc.) on a shelf next to the bar, then pair it with one of a large selection of real ales, craft beers, and interesting lagers.<div><br></div><div>Hopefully they will tear out the horrible wine bar chic and take it back to basics.</div>
  • "We are thinking 5 cask ales and upwards of 20 kegged beers, from some of your favourite small and independent brewers. The rest of the pubs in the area are lovely but tied to breweries so we will be able to bring you all of the beers that they can't.. and all in our down-to-earth Late Knights way"<div><br></div><div>20+ kegged beers and five ales. A little bit of wee just came out.</div>
  • edited July 2015
    Being a bit Heath Robinson in this manor is a perfect fit, seeing as the great cartoonist was born just down the road.
  • I went. Early days. But I was impressed. Already a mighty beer selection.
  • Hi everyone, Well what a great 2 days we had meeting you all. So many great stories about the place. We are really looking forward to giving you guys a great local community pub. Next week we will be doing our best to have the pub open ASAP by hiring the right people and ironing out the perfect food offer. We are enjoying all the suggestions for the future so keep them coming. James had been telling me that we are going to love having the noble as part of our little family. We are tucking the old girl in now for a couple of days whilst we do our best to put the right people in place. Look forward to seeing you all Wednesday. You can get James for any questions on james@lateknightsbrewery.co.uk Cheers everyone Looking forward to the future. Steve
  • Get a cheeseboard offer going with locally sourced cheese from Wilde's in Tottenham.
  • edited July 2015
    Enjoyed a tipple yesterday.    I will of course bring you in some <a href="http://stroudgreenoliveoil.blogspot.co.uk">Stroud Green Olive Oil</a> if I bring any back from abroad this year. The pub would be just the right size for an olive oil tasting / meet-the-Mediterranean-diet foodie event too.....