Loft conversions?

Could anyone recommend a loft converter company? hoping to convert a loft in our lancaster road house....If anyone has trod this path before us their insights wld be appreciated (dos donts etc)
Tagged:

Comments

• Whatever you do don't use a guy called Steve Wrieden, he took our deposit and liquidated. Didn't even have the decency to tell us, found out elsewhere.
  • edited July 2015
    I didn't have a loft conversion, but I extended my attic room with a larger dorma and roof and sky lights. I used a builder rather than a company because I wanted a bit more control over the process.   The guy I used, had worked for loft conversion firms all around this area and Stoke Newington and was often called in when they were botched up.    It worked out cheaper, but possibly slower because he had a smaller crew.  I can give you his details if you want.     If you wanted a 20 year warranty or longer you're probably better going with a company.    I trusted my builder would come back and sort out any problems, but I've not had any.   <div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">One of the things I think you need to do is think ahead a lot, and don't hold up the process by not having decided on what sort of floor, or heating or bathroom fittings to get.   You really need to have the taps, tiles, door handles etc there and ready in time, and not suddenly decide you're going to go shopping and then find you have to wait 10 weeks for the shower you want.   If you're going to source any salvage or re-claim items, it's never to soon to start looking around.   If the work goes over Christmas, ordering things, seems to take much longer.   Think about where you want the electrics to go, because they'll be doing the first fitting of electrics quite soon.       </span><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">You need to have lots of clear space to get large steels and timber up the stairs, unless you were getting a crane/expense.</span><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I didn't bother with an architect, I did my own drawings which I submitted to planning.   I just copied some existing ones done on the same road.   I found building control really useful for giving advice and so did my builder.</span></div><div><br></div><div>While the scaffolding is up, other things come to light.   Crumbly pointing, gutters which are too small, wobbly chimney, so the job tends to get bigger, and then there's the dust.   You will have to have the windows cleaned over and over.</div><div><br></div><div>You need to get masses of car parking vouchers for all the different trades people.    Your front garden will be full of rubbish for a while.   A lot of builders pile it all up, until there's enough for a skip and then just get one that's taken away the same day.</div><div><br></div><div>One of things I wish I'd done was put in some sound proofing as well as insulation.     I think one of things people I've spoken to, say, who've had conversions, is that they'd made it bigger, but obviously there are limits in terms of aesthetics, and planning. </div>
  • one suggestion is to look around the area at who is currently doing conversions and to see who is working in the area at present. Using a company who knows what the council will/will not approve will only go in your favour. Also good to get an architect involved as they will be able to give you best use of space instead of doing your own design or guess work.<div><br></div><div>Yes seek planning, get it signed off on building regs or you will struggle to sell at a later date, and make sure it's fully insulated otherwise it's unusable in winter. Basically don't cut corners! </div>