Anyone put in a roof terrace?

Hi All<br><br>Was wondering if anyone had ever converted their roof etc into a terrace. I have a flat roof that needs to be replaced, thought I would look into putting in a small roof terrace and finally have some outside space but Ive never tried to get planning permission / done any major building works before. Anyone out there ever done something similar and have any tips?<br><br>thanks in advance<br><br>Jenny<br>

Comments

• Hi Jenny,<div><br></div><div>We don't have one but I do remember the issues that I had on a flat I intended to buy in crouch end from the lack of building regulations and planning for the roof terrace. They didn't have any which made the sale harder to complete as it wasn't signed off.</div><div><br></div><div>Other issues I've heard about terraces is that they can be hard to get approved as most people tend to object to planning as they don't want to be overlooked by their neighbours. I would suggest getting planning permission and then if it gets the go ahead making sure that you get signed off by building regulations so that you are covered for insurance and also if you decide to sell at a later date. </div>
  • I'd def recommend speaking to neighbours first as they have the power to object to any planning application and speaking with them before hand would be good.  If you share a freehold with downstairs neighbours the benefit of you paying for in effect a replacement roof (which I guess they would have to pay of share of normally) may be the sweetner required....  It's certainly what I'm considering with my downstairs neighbour.  If other people either side of you have roof terraces this will make it more likely you will get permission.
  • Thanks really helpful tips. <br>
  • Jenny it would be interesting to hear how you get on as I'm thinking of doing the same thing. <div><br></div><div>which borough are you in? wonder if that makes a difference? </div>
  • Im in Islington and understand they can be harder to get something through. Most of my street seems to have unoffical terraces but Id like to do it properly and also makesure its properly soundproofed for the neighbours. Will keep you posted<br>
  • I'm in islington too so yes it would be interesting to hear how you get on. I'm sure I read somewhere that Islington council have relaxed a bit on planning permissions as they know most houses are now split into flats, but we'll see.<div><br>I have the added problem on the freehold to my building being owned by a management company so I'm going to need their approval. </div>