Scam artist around Finsbury Park

edited August 2015 in Local discussion
I was asked by a panicked man for money to get home to Borehamwood a couple of weeks ago at around 0530hrs on Wells Terrace. I didn't think much of it but walked with him to BTP at FP and then to station staff. He was a little scruffily dressed but explained he had been mugged and worked for the Samaritans as a psychotherapist, and certainly gave an appearance of having been roughed up. The same man approached me on Charteris Road this evening at about 2200hrs but as soon as he realised we had met before quite literally ran away. He will ask for you to lend him money to get home. He is well-spoken, about 55 years, white ethnicity, 160-170cm tall and quite earnest in his pitch. He wears thick-rimmed glasses and could pass himself off as professionally educated. Just a warning to you all.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I have a remarkably similar story.<div style="font-style: normal;"><br></div><div>First instance was on Mount Pleasant Crescent in about 2011. Almost identical tale of muggings and broken down trains as was told as to kkqd1209, starting with "Are you a local?". <span style="font-style: italic;">Quite why he would be on Mount Pleasant Crescent if he was following the train tracks down to Finsbury Park I'm not sure though.</span> </div><div style="font-style: normal;">I actually gave him £10, feeling like it probably was a scam, but happy with that knowledge and I was in a good mood. Mrs Meltwaterfalls was a little surprised at my gullibility.</div><div style="font-style: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-style: normal;">Then about five months ago the same guy bumped into me in the Car Park at Ally Pally, with a near identical story again starting with "Are you a local?". I didn't give him money that time.</div><div style="font-style: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">Looks like he is committed to that form of income having kept it up for the last 4 years at least.</span><br></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-style: normal;">I guess the "Are you a local?" is a fairly tried and tested line, someone else used it on me when they "ran out of petrol" in Hampstead. Either that or it is a long running psychological experiment be conducted on the population of North London.</div>
  • Yeah I think it was the same guy my partner and I bumped into one evening outside crouch hill overground. Similar story, but this time he was a psychiatrist operating out of the Whittington. Needed to get back to Muswell Hill as he'd been mugged. I asked him if he'd called the police. Said he had but they told him there was nothing they could do and he'd have to get himself home - at which point I became sceptical. He was honestly quite convincing though. Erudite, slightly dishevelled (but I've seen worse dressed university professors) and distressed sounding. A good actor, but a conman nonetheless. I prefer the Irish jigging joke man who works these streets. At least he's giving you some entertainment.
  • I think I saw the Irish jigging joke man two nights ago working the Porchetta outside tables.  That's not a scam - just an innovative income stream - isn't it?    Anyway the outside table at the Porchetta were roaring with laughter, though I'd heard the jokes before.    Or does he have a hard luck story as well?
  • Oh, his jokes are dire but he does have a certain strange charm. I've also seen the fake academic, and yes, he is very convincing. In their defence, at least neither of them is the sodding Tesco busker, who should either learn some more chords, some more lyrics to the songs he murders in part, or ideally both.
  • I like Irish Jigging Joke man, he's putting some work in for his money. <div><br></div><div>Mugged Smart Man has been working Stroud Green for years. I remember him once trying to convince my wife and me of a similar story when we were working in our old front garden at least five years ago. We offered to go inside and call the police for him, who would be sure to help him get home. Unsurprisingly, he turned us down. </div>
  • I appreciate Jigging Joke Man's honesty too. He never claims to be looking for a bus fare or any other weak excuse. He usually tells me that he wants to buy a burger. It helps me to empathise.
  • My boyfriend and I met the 'psychotherapist' one last year. He mentioned Borehamwood. I think he gave us bogus contact details because my boyfriend was kind enough to give him a tenner. <div><br></div><div>Could be a drug user I think. </div><div><br></div><div>Quite funny that he uses the word 'psychotherapist' to garner credibility...</div>
  • I gave mugged man a fiver two weeks ago on st thomas's road. same story as the others, he was quite convincing and although I felt it could be a ruse I wanted to help in case I was being cynical - oh well. <br>
  • Pseudo-muggee was up early yesterday, accosting me just after eight and clearly not recognising me from his last attempt. I shook my head and moved on.
  • Someone rang my bell asking if i had some duracell batteries and then went away without ringing anyone else.<div><br></div><div>Quite random, but something similar happened to me roughly 4 weeks ago, when someone rang asking if i had something (that i didn't understand) and went away.</div><div><br></div><div>Has it happened to anyone else?</div><div><br></div>
  • @fabruce, maybe checking if anybody was home?<br>
  • Yes that's what i thought, but i didn't want to be too paranoid too be honest eheh.<div><br></div><div>Has anyone else experienced the same thing?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • ha, I got taken in by the posh psychotherapist Sunday evening. Similar story, mugged by three boys on bikes and took his bag with wallet etc. needed money for a train. Very convincing, said his name was Anthony and even gave me a missed call from his phone 07440 090978. Can the Police do anything with that number?
  • <p>Doubt it! Imagine that's a throwaway phone, pay as you is go pretty much untraceable. </p><p>Perhaps I'm really harsh but I'd *possibly* walk someone to the station and pay for a ticket for them but I'd never hand over cash to someone in the street. I occasionally buy tea, sandwiches and pet food for the regular homeless person near my work but never give them cash. </p><p>Says quite a lot about this area that someone thinks psychotherapist is the most convincing occupation. </p><p><br></p>
  • So if someone approached you in the street around here, what occupation would be most convincing in order to persuade you to give them money?
  • edited December 2017
  • edited January 2016
    Either give them money, or if you're cynical (as I am) direct them to the police station.  Saying that, what would happen to them there.  But I'm sure they'd bring them home.  <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • <p>Nothing. Well, astronaut maybe but only if they were actually in a spacesuit.</p><p>As discussed, I do not give people money in the street.</p>
  • Does nobody else object to the use of the word 'hooker', above? Gardener Joe makes fun of vulnerable women,  and uses a sexist term for good measure. He should be ashamed of himself.
  • I agree Checkski. Moderator?
  • <p>No, as a woman, I don't object.</p><p>Like many of the things said here it was clearly said in jest as a snappy reponse to a question. I'd have objection to whore or prossie, but not hooker - it's such a 1970s word anyway. Besides which he didn't specify whether he was talking about a man or woman  (the term can apply to both these days), so you can be offended on behalf of men if you like. Personally I find men instantly getting offended over things like this on behalf of women more offensive than the word itself. Believe me, if any women here find that offensive they'll speak up themselves.</p><p>There also a worthwhile debate to be had about sex work and whether we should sweepingly lump all women involved as vulnerable victims but I suspect that it won't be had here any more. We have discussed it in previous threads years ago.</p>
  • I can't see why I couldn't be discussed, so long as everyone remains civil.
  • I agree with Miss Annie, no need for the word police. Someone made a joke. That's it. He didn't make fun of vulnerable women.
  • OK, Miss Annie and Papa L. We've discussed this sort of thing before. My view, that names matter a lot, especially around sexuality, gender,  and race, seems to be a minority one, on this forum. I shall continue objecting, even though Miss Annie implies it's none of my business. I hope Sutent will, too . The intention is to try and persuade people like G.Joe to think twice in future. 
  • It worked! Redacted, it now says, above. Was that Arkady, or Joe himself, I wonder? Anyway, the word has gone. Good.
  • edited January 2016
    It's not that it's none of your business. I think the word nigger is offensive when used about people of particular colour, however some people of colour think it's completely fine and it's their word of choice. It's for them to decide, not me. I wouldn't bring myself to say it though and it makes me wince when I hear it. Likewise, I think hooker is fine, whore too graphic, prossie too Northern, prostitute too police produral. But ultimately it's not up to me to be offended about the choice of word. It's just personal taste of word if the word doesn't apply to you. I'm very much against policing free speech and I hope it was not removed by our esteemed moderator.
  • edited January 2016
    And your glee in having the word removed convinces me that this forum is no longer place for lively debate about anything much more than tradesmen, organic produce, nannies and property.
  • edited January 2016
    Unfair! My 'glee' was over one word. Like you, I wish we had a greater range of topics - like this one, for example!
  • Free speech comes with responsibility
  • Yes, it does. I don't think Joe was being irresponsible using the word hooker in the joke that he made. You do. I think it's wrong to try to instantly take the moral high ground about everything and squash any kind of debate about it with squawking about the particular kind of free speech that's allowed. You don't. Clearly free speech is not welcomed here as men's opinions about words you can or cannot use about women are deemed more worthwhile than a woman's view. Any views on the N word as I raised in my post above?