Best Burger in Stroud Green?

<p>Right, so this pigeon has got a proper hunger for a decent burger. I can't wait to get my beak stuck into one. My question to is, where is the best burger in Stroud Green (and half a mile or so in any direction)? I've been disappointed by the look of the Stapleton offering and find the Old Dairy's a tad expensive at £13.50. Any suggestions? I know Brisket is probably the obvious place, but I just have so little faith in their abilities after last time. Many thanks</p>

Comments

• N4 Street's is very good, and probably the best locally. I really enjoyed the burger at the Hopsmith's the other day, which comes in at under a tenner, but if you want it done anything less than medium make sure you ask in advance. The other food options at Hopsmiths are more exciting anyway - both the rib and the cheek were divine.
  • The burger at the Shaftesbury is a decent shout - good beer too.<div><br></div>
  • I found the burgers at the Shaftsbury over cooked, great Thai in there though. When the Noble was first taken over by LKB they had a limited menu and the burger was fkin amazing! Haven't tried since the refit though..
  • I don't get this current fixation with burgers. There is much more interesting food out there. Perhaps it's an association with McDonald's and the Wimpy Bars of my yoof.
  • @arkady how many times have you eaten at Hopsmiths??
  • Oh only once, but there was a big group of us and we pigged out. The menu is mostly 'small plates' so there's lots of sharing potential.
  • I think you're right Krappy, it's the generation that spent their teens in McDonalds that fetishise the burger.
  • I don't tend to order the burger or go for the whole burgermania thing.<div><br></div><div>Do like a good one occasionally though.</div><div><br></div><div>I was a bit dubious about them when the trend started, but some of these hipster burgers are actually very good. </div><div><br></div><div>Definitely, a subconscious generational McDonalds's fetish underlying this though I reckon - albeit everyone knows Burger King did the better burgers.</div>
  • I lived very close by when the very first McDonald's opened in Lewisham. I was horrified by the slavish adulation paid then to this temple to crap American fast food. Remain so. Go and read 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser. I used to enjoy the occasional Burger King on the motorway but I've always regarded it as 'kiddy food', and you shouldn't really drive after one of those bastards. I agree that some of the new fresh Hipster-style burgers with good ingredients sound more appealing, but my views will forever be tainted by the ghastly Ronald Mcdonald & co.
  • Don't compare McDonald's with a proper burger. It's like comparing a Blossom Hill with a Henri Jayer Richebourg Grand Cru.<br><br>A proper burger should be quality steak, lightly ground and then gently bound with a little oil, onion, and perhaps a few choice herbs. Grilled or flash-fried with mustard so that it is lightly charred but still pink and juicy in the middle. It should crumble slightly at the touch. Tricked-out with French cheese and cured meats. Garnished with crunchy salad. Lubricated with a tangy sauce. Enveloped with good quality bread, ideally seeded and lightly toasted. <div><br></div><div>Then fisted into your gob.</div>
  • Brisket is a very decent burger<br>
  • Arkady, when I make burgers I use ketchup to bind it (and a little olive oil) - a trick I learnt from my mum.<div>Often gets a favourable review from those eating it.</div><div>I don't use onion though.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Herbs in a burger!? And not steak, it needs to be at least 20% fat for flavour & for me it has to be american cheese for that proper melt, cheddar is a massive no no! 
  • Nothing, but nothing, tastes better than a sausage and egg mcmuffin. It's not precisely food, but that's not the point. <br>
  • Also, what's this with the respectabilising of 'to fist' as a verb? Julian Clary owns that one. <br>
  • <span style="font-style: normal;">@skev303 - I used to agree, but I think the best burgers I've had have been steak </span><span style="font-style: italic;">inclusive</span> of a big layer of fat, rather than a naturally fattier cut. Best of both worlds. I'm open to persuasion on this point. As to herbs - mix it up. Definitely a touch a garlic, but also a smidge of coriander (though not if it's steak), and I'm fond of rosemary in a lamb burger.<div><br></div><div>@Mirandola *shrug*, I just thought it made for a suitably visceral mental image.</div>
  • Obviously you have not tried my barbecued lamb kofte (eviscerated lamb, chopped spring onion, herbs, chilli, olive oil and lashings of cumin, coriander, and paprika, salt and pepper), served with plain yoghurt, home made pitta bread and tabbouleh. Heaven on a plate.
  • About that open-house plan of yours Krappy.
  • edited August 2015
    Not quite Stroud Green (unless you count the fact it's delivered to your house) but still local as based in Holloway, we tried a Homeburger delivery a few weeks ago and were impressed. A Meatwagon/liquor/mission style of burger, properly (meaning medium rare and not over-)cooked and good chips. Bit dangerous to know I can get one of these delivered at home!
  • What Arkady said re: open house.
  • Absolutely lamb needs herbage! Love a good Kofta but not a burger by any stretch.
  • Front Room do a pretty good burger. As do Nandos.
  • Is there anybody here who's a vegetarian? Kreuzkav, I believe, but otherwise? Not trying to be boring, just wondering!
  • My wife is which makes me vegetarian a large portion of the time...
  • I am. Still miss the mushroom burgers at the Wilmington as was in Clerkenwell - many places do it, but they were the best. Then they went more gastro, ditched the venue space, and the food got worse. Sad times.
  • Was very happy with my burger at the Old Royal Legion (or whatever it's now called) in Crouch End. I always find the patty under seasoned in a lot of places but it was just right at the ORL. Not had it for a while but Vikky stakes always did a nice burger too, if you're prepared to go that far. 
  • Well I've added plenty to my list, thanks. FYI the burger at Blue Legume is excellent. I'm going to try the Hopsmiths this weekend too - they've got a special bank holiday burger menu on. The one called "Pasture Bedtime" with crispy fried pig's head is too hard to resist.