Labour nominations

Is anyone else struggling to vote in the Labour nominations? I never recieved a ballot paper in the post so had to wait until 4th Sept to say this, they then said they would email but I've never received anything and have now chased 3 times. I only recently registered as a supporter and I wonder if I've been banned from voting which would be pretty annoying as I'm not affiliated with any other party (nor have been), am fully registered to vote in Islington N and agree with Labour party principles (though not always there politicians/policies)

Comments

• It's amazing we haven't really had much of a discussion on here about this, but isn't it astonishing that our MP for Loony Labour Islington North may actually be about to become leader of the opposition. Regardless of where you fall on the debate, that genuinely is an astonishing scenario none of us would have dreamed of in early May.
  • Regardless of where I fall on the debate, as you put it, I object to your insulting and patronising way of describing our MP and the local Labour Party. Shame on you, Papa L.
  • edited September 2015
    This intemperate reaction to a little mild leg-pulling is precisely the reason why I'm very glad we haven't had any such debate on here.
  • Checksi - your outrage is a) misplaced and b) completely out of proportion.<div><br></div><div>I am referring tongue-in-cheek to the long and commonly held public view and stereotyping of both Islington and Jeremy Corbyn (and to be perfectly honest both the council and MP have done plenty to continue that characterisation.)</div><div><br></div><div>Quince is right. I take it back. I'm glad there hasn't been any discussion on here about it if that's the kind of reactionary, po-faced response a light-hearted comment triggers.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Now now everyone! Corbyn has run a clever campaign, by not resorting to reactionary language almost sounding like your kindly grandad! That along with his non-sound bites have made people sit up and listen. To be honest the other candidates have not only been uninspiring, but downright wooden spouting off a series of tiresome political sound bites. I would be surprised if Corbyn is a good leader as he lacks the experience in having to make tough decisions which test your core values and the media pit will be relentless. But he does (along with Sadiq who can be a great Mayor) reshape the political lines by breaking conventional wisdom. Looking forward to the next chapter!
  • This is the problem with t'internet. In a pub my guess is that PapaL would have immediately changed 'loony' to 'eccentric' or somesuch and Checkski would have agreed.
  • That's more like it, MacLondon. I don't necessarily entirely agree with you, but at least you are treating JC with respect, and taking his campaign seriously. We haven't seen the half of the mountain of ad hominem abuse that will come if he wins, abuse that no other candidate has had to face. Many of us, young and old, strongly support the main parts of JC's programme, and have joined the Labour Party in the hope that they might be implemented. It wasn't clear that Papa L was joking. Loony left is facile and damaging, as a label, and not particularly funny, as a joke. Perhaps Papa L will tell us what kind of Labour HE would like to see emerging from this election. I probably won't agree with him, but promise not to rubbish his ideas, no matter how consumed with giggles they cause me to be. 
  • Speaking as a non Labour voter I'll be delighted if Jeremy Corbyn wins. It will be an enormous swing back to Old Labour and will at least highlight the differences between the two main parties. It will be fabulously interesting to see the rest of the prominent Labour faces tying themselves in knots to say something positive about it after they have been so outspokenly against him too. Go Jeremy!
  • STOP PRESS. Jeremy has made it. Prime minister next stop?? Doubtful, I'm afraid. But at least, for the first time in decades, there'll be a real debate. Exciting times.
  • <p>Tom & Jerry!</p><p><br></p><p>Seriously though, it still frustrates me that although it's all about new start, brave new world, it's still old white men on the podium.</p>
  • Yes - that's part of why Angela Eagle was my first choice as deputy (though I'm sure Watson will do a good job). Still, better an old white man with principles at the helm than a Blairite with two X chromosomes.
  • Checksi, had you considered the possibility that I was taking the mickey out of the stereotyping itself? <div><br></div><div>Not all discussions need to be conducted in deadly seriousness. And regardless of whether I was sending up Corbyn, his critics, or decades of public and media stereotyping, I think taking grave offence and calling 'shame on you' may be over-egging things slightly.<div><br></div><div>If the Corbynists want to really shake-up the world, they may need to be willing to accept a little ribbing along the way.<br><div><br></div><div>I'm not sure I'd really be up for a society, where you can't take the mick out of politicians - nor one where there is a three-line whip to take all things very seriously.</div></div></div><div><br></div><div>In light of the fact that seems to put me at odds with your view on the world, I'll bow out of this conversation and decline your invitation to expand it.</div><div><br></div><div>Congratulations on your win. Enjoy the ride.</div>
  • Is that what you were doing, Papa L? Taking the mick out of the cliché? Far from clear, in your original post. Especially when everybody else is screaming abuse at JC. Hardly surprising, perhaps, if one's instinct is to leap to his defence.But I no longer feel the need to,  in your case, following your reasonable and moderate bowing out of the discussion. In general, though, following a day's elation and disbelief on his election, I now feel apprehensive. So many powerful enemies out there - and Jeremy with no clothes on, figuratively speaking. And literally, come to that. His reluctance to wear a suit will revive the vulgar abuse that Michael Foot suffered in the 80's, and which eventually did for him. I HOPE JC continues to dress unassumingly - it will feel like a symbolic betrayal if he doesn't - but the irrelevant ridicule to come may well do for him and the policies many of us long to see implemented.
  • I look forward to the day all personal criticism of all politicians stops. From whether or not they've worn a suit to where they went to school/university what their parents or partners do for a living etc. People should concentrate only on their politics, right? Everything else is irrelevant.
  • What is going on here? Miss Annie and I keep agreeing!