Sadiq Khan wants to help you (get a bus)

This is something I have been arguing for years for. The ability to change buses and not get charged again.<div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-plans-150-unlimited-trip-bus-ticket-thats-valid-for-an-hour-a3085486.html">Sadiq Khan wants to bring that in</a><br><div><br><div>For us Stroud Green people this would be a major victory - hampered as we are by buses not going under the bridge at the bottom of Stroud Green Road.</div></div><div><br></div><div>That means that bus routes that would theoretically keep running all the way to Highbury, Upper Street, Stoke Newington etc stop at Wells Terrace and then you have to walk round the other side and pay again.</div></div><div><br></div><div>Hopefully, Sadiq Khan's idea will gain traction and the Tories will adopt it too, so we get it whatever happens.</div>

Comments

• <p>I supect it will complicate Oyster and the way it works.  I think he was talking about having a one hour ticket a bit like Brussels. </p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • Yep, that's how he suggested doing it. Seems like a reasonable start. <div><br></div><div>My suggestion would be a way of tapping off a bus and you then have a certain amount of time to get on the next one.</div>
  • In principle it is a very good idea. I suspect there will be some sceptics as this is a universal subsidy that benefits everyone. I would also hope that they would introduce free transport for the unemployed and continue free transport for the elderly.  
  •  I think the new TfL  Commissioner said in an interview in the Standard that  he thought the Governmnet might make TfL become self sufficient  at an operational level with in a year or so instead on 2020.   I guess we will find out in the the Chancellors  November spending statement.  The only way to do that will be cut, charge  more or get more efficient.  
  • There's also talk of London keeping more of its tax take as part of the devolution agenda, and I wouldn't be surprised if full fiscal responsibility for TfL was part of that package.<div><br></div><div>The London Assembly is (again) pushing for all suburban rail to come under TfL's auspices. Most wise.</div>
  • Ex TfL top person is now NR top person
  • edited October 2015
    I don't think it should be too complicated for the oyster system, as you can already change from overground to tube to DLR, and it will charge you for one journey.  It can be time-based (an hour or two, limited to one or two changes)  The oyster system can even make sure you don't use it to return (I think).  <div><br></div><div>On other European systems like Berlin, you pay for a journey, not each change. I think the journey can last up to two hours and have as many changes as you like. You  can't use it to reutrn though.  There are no ticket barriers but lots of under-cover inspectors so that probably makes it a bit easier.</div>
  • When it was suggested for the last election the Oyster system could not cope with it - now it can.  There are revenue implications so it will be for the new Mayor to decide if these are worth it to pay for this change.  Personally I think it is.<br>
  • I think this should be filed under needs to be done - ignore the costs.<div>Any extra revenue raised is coming off the back of treating bus users unfairly compared to train and tube passengers.</div><div><br></div><div>Bringing all the commuter lines under TFL - going out even as far as places like Bedford, Brighton, Cambridge, Southend etc.is a good idea to me.</div>
  • The main resistance to TfL acquiring the suburban lines are Tory MPs in the shires who somehow think that their commuters will suffer, despite all the facts to the contrary.
  • How does one ignore the costs? TfL/London buses have a budget - if the revenue goes down then something needs to budge to balance the budget.<br>
  • One hour ticket is a great idea. Our transport is extortionate compared to most other countries.
  • @NorthNineteen - obviously the costs matter. <div><br></div><div>My knowledge of TFL funding is very limited, but what I mean is that somewhere between TFL and the state a decision is made to not collect unfair revenue in this way and plug the gap somehow.</div><div><br></div><div>Arkady, is that true - is there evidence of that? I imagine many of the Tory voters in the Shires would be delighted to have someone take control of their rail line, improve it and stop whacking up prices.</div><div><br></div><div>They are a massive bugbear for commuters.</div>
  • I only know what I've read on London Reconnection. Objections in Hertfordshire meant that the TfL takeover of the Hertford suburbans only goes as far north as Cheshunt. Similar objections in the south east prevented the SouthEastern franchise from being handed to TfL in the last round of franchise renewals, and so on. The fear is that inner-London train paths will be prioritised over longer distance trains.<div><br></div><div>TfL is responsible to the Mayor, and the Mayor's authority doesn't stretch the the satellite towns, so there is arguably a democratic deficit of some kind.</div>
  • I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much of a campaign to win them over.<div><br><div>I grew up in Hertfordshire and have family there - so get to use the godforsaken train line out to Harpenden on regular occasion.</div><div><br></div><div>A 25 minute train ride costs £13.80.<br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • I wonder if Network Rail will be broken up into smaller chunks which will provide the opportunity to bring London rail together
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">@Ali - I doubt it, as many lines (like our own East Coast Main Line through Finsbury Park) carry long-distance, suburban and inner London trains - breaking up control of the track would cause problematic balkanisation.</span></font></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">Those interested in London Rail Devolution may appreciate this recent article:</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/devocalypse-now-taking-control-of-south-londons-railways/</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;"><br></span></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">The recent devolution call from the London Assembly is suggesting that the Moorgate service be handed to TfL in 2021 when the franchise comes up for renewal again. The article also touches on the earlier opposition from neighbouring counties, including the democratic legitimacy question.</span></font></div><div><br></div>
  • I wonder what impact nationalisation will have on this.
  • Labour are essentailly advocating the same plan, only nationally and with the possibility of exploiting franchise break-clauses.