Gustavo's

I had a pizza from Gustavo's for the first time at the weekend. It was superb.<div><br></div><div>It was a takeaway, so should be even better if eaten in.</div><div><br></div><div>I opted for a Napoletana with some ham added (my default pizza choice). Thin crispy base, toppings that slide off and a fantastic taste.</div><div><br></div><div>I would highly recommend it, it is up there with Stroud Green's best in a tough field of competition.</div><div><br></div><div>Have been meaning to eat Gustavo's there for some time but not managed to. They are now doing a few more non-pizza dishes, with a specials board up and it looks really good.</div><div><br></div><div>This is a new local restaurant that definitely needs and deserves some support.</div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

Comments

• Opposite Hopsmiths on Crouch Hill.<br>
  • edited February 2016
    There are more Italians (edit: pizza parlours) per square metre in Stroud Green than there are in Naples.
  • We went to Gustavo's tonight.  Really great pizza - super base etc. as Papa L notes - and very good bruschetta too.  I had the one with roast potatoes, porcini, pancetta & slices of black truffle which was absolutely delicious.  There are a few non-pizza options and it looks like some interesting alcohol comes out if you order coffee.  And you bring your own wine.  You'll get a table - and it's the best pizza (best and most interesting) I've eaten in Stroud Green.
  • <p>I had a pizza there a while ago and thought it was exceptional. Genuinely really really good.</p><p><br></p><p>Then again, I've never understood what all the fuss is about pizza pappagone - so what do I know? </p>
  • I like Pizza Pappagone's chaotic, lively atmosphere, its pizzas only make the low end of my Stroud Green top five though.<div><br></div><div>Based purely on pizza, that is:<br><div><br></div><div>Porchetta - if the right chef is there</div><div>La Saporita - a very close second now, great little restaurant</div><div>Gustavos - very thin crispy base and different</div></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Piccolo Diavolo - love the restaurant (and its carbonara)</span><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Pappagone - I get why people like it because it buzzes but the pizza isn't all that</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Honorary mention</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Venezia - BESt pIZZA in STRUOD GREEn</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">That's a really good blog that the Gustavo's review is in, read quite a few of the food reviews on there. I would definitely understand being annoyed if you were waiting for food while takeaway was being shipped out the door.</span></div><div><br></div>
  • <p>@PapaL Does Il Piccolo Diavolo make proper carbonara or do they put milk in it?</p>
  • Venezia? Does that even exist anymore?
  • edited March 2016
    <p>I love the fact that only old timers are going to understand the Venezia bit. </p><p>What the hell kind of person puts milk in carbonara? Eggs, cream yes. Milk, never. That would be like putting it in mash!</p><p><br></p>
  • @missanie not even cream! A carbonara should be guanciale, pecorino, eggs, and pepper. Don't want to be too much of a purist. But we all have these arbitrary things we judge things by (*ahem* "if it doesn't have a London postcode, it ain't London")
  • <br><div>South_to _North</div><div><br></div><div>You are absolutely right: no cream.  Only the ingredients you mention. I would accept parmigiano instead of pecorino but that's it!</div>
  • <p>I bow to your greater knowledge, but we all concur - no milk.</p><p>If it doesn't have a London postcode, it ain't London is an iron clad rule for me, as is the only bits of South London I visit are the bits I can see from North London.</p><p><br></p>
  • @mimsy I'd also accept pancetta instead of guanciale. Maybe steaky bacon in a pinch so long as it's thick cut and not wet-cured. But that's if I'm making it at home - I feel if you're an italian restaurant you should do it the old fashioned way.
  • edited March 2016
    I would be very surprised if it had milk in it, it tastes like proper carbonara - it's up there with my friend's Italian wife's dad's.<div>They do put onion in it, but you can get it without if you so choose<br><div><br>When I make carbonara I use only pancetta (bacon if I don't have that), eggs, parmigiano, I also tend to use one full egg and two egg yolks (no white) - ideally the eggs from Tony's butchers.</div></div><div><br></div><div>Pepper if the kids aren't having it, if they are I can't add it when cooking as they moan and won't eat it.</div><div><br></div><div>Can you get guanciale from the Italian Farmers place? Maybe I will try that next time.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/may/10/how-to-cook-perfect-spaghetti-carbonara">This is a good carbonara recipe (and article) I think</a></div><div><br></div><div>@Miss Annie - got to wheel out the Venezia joke when you can, keep the old flame alive.</div>
  • <p>@papal you can indeed! Love that place.... even if it's a bit pricey I'm like a kid in a sweet shop in there. Not as good as Salvino's on brecknock road but that's a bit of a mission to get to from mine in comparison.</p><p>For me.... there's no better article on carbonara that <a href="https://racheleats.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/six-years/">this one</a> by Rachel Roddy </p>