Good place for Lunch near Tube Station

Hi I am meeting an old friend not seen for 15yrs, would like to take her for lunch somewhere nice around Fin Park tube. Has to be near station. Any recommendations appreciated ?

Comments

• Pasta Remoli is right by the Wells Terrace station exit and it's perfect for a lunchtime catch-up - friendly staff, freshly made pasta and good wine. Affordable too.<div><br></div><div>If you wanted to head further up SGR, there's Petek, Pappagone etc. Sadly some of the better options (Season Kitchen, La Fabrica, Dotori are closed at lunchtimes)</div>
  • My favourite place to eat now near the station is Gadz, He makes very tasty Lebanese food but there is no alcohol licence.Very affordable. Its a gem. 
  • Hi Toddlesocks,<div><br></div><div>We are open from 12:00 and serve all afternoon, with lunch specials like chicken, leek & mushroom pie with mash or pork chop with fried potatoes both for under £10.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • I showed Hussain Sutent's opinion of his cooking, and he was pleased. I usually just have coffee and cake, which is OK...  <div>l am not there principally for the food and drink. But today I tried a verluffel (sp?), prettily decorated with salad and dressing. It was a snack, about 5 mouthfuls... and absolutely delicious! I've never tried Lebanese food before - similar to, but different from eg Algerian, or Turkish, it seems to me.</div>
  • There was also some chess on the go, yesterday. I felt sorry for the older chap. He was completely outclassed!
  • Ah, that older guy - stumbling around with his pawns, barely able to string a sentence together in Portuguese
  • edited April 2016
    Thank you all, a good selection, I will let her choose. Unfortunately mobility is an isssue, ideally I would love to take her a walk down SGR so she could see how the area had changed since she emigrated.
  • The falafel wraps are the best thing. Home made fresh falafel with tahini, pomegranate juice, chilli sauce and sald. All for £4. Bargain.  
  • edited April 2016
    Agree with Sutent, love the falafel wraps! The Tabbouleh is nice, too.
  • Park Theatre's pretty decent for lunch too - and all floors are accessible by lift. 
  • edited April 2016
    Thumbs up for Hussain at Gadz too.   It's a tatty old place and you can't get a beer (and you might have to put up with Chekski or Jeremy) but the home made Lebanese food is great and cheap.    He usually makes me a mega chicken salad with everything on top from tabbouleh to pomegranate seeds and chilli - it's about a fiver, very fashionable in an Ottolenghi-style, you couldn't get it in Crouch End for less than £12.    Bargain.<div><br></div><div>@Verga if you are referring to me as the shambolic guy who can't speak Portuguese  - spot on.  I always lose at chess, and I couldn't get anyone to do my Portuguese translation for me (lots of volunteers, nobody actually could be bothered, every one let me down).  I am going to have to raise the £150 necessary to get it done professionally, so it will likely never happen.    And I am a spring chicken.</div>
  • Like for krappy comment on Gadz
  • Vitor the hairdresser is Portuguese. Just sayin'.
  • Sim, eu acho que ele fala Portugues também 
  • All of our cleaners at work speak Porteguese as their first language. I could ask if any of them are interested/have time to do it if you like? I'm not sure if any of them are confident enough with English to do it but one was a teacher at home in Brazil so she might do it.
  • @krappyrubsnif, a friend of mine is a professional translator - she's Portuguese. Msg me a link to what you want translated, & I'll ask her how much it would cost? She might be willing to do mates' rates...
  • edited April 2016
    Just to report back on the translation from Portuguese.<div><br></div><div>I asked for an estimate from a professional translation company  - they would charge £610 to translate 17 minutes of video (probably about 2,000 words).  It's what it costs.    I know translation is time consuming and expensive, but that's money I just don't have.    (I run a self-funded 'not-for-profit' <a href="http://www.tvindalert.com">public-service website, investigation and blog</a> on this charity scam - more fool me - and while I have many interested supporters, it would take me weeks to raise that kind of money.</div><div><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I was hoping I could rely on 'crowdsourcing' a rough translation rom well-wishers.   That didn't work - several promises, but no deliveries.    Luckily, after making a fuss, I think I've found a solution now - a young woman in Brazil who was herself a victim of the scam I'm exposing is doing a translation for me - of course, she is highly motivated.   This is great because in a few days I'll be able to update my blog with a story repeating the Portuguese TV programme's allegations for all the world to see. </span><br></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div>I've learned one lesson - people won't generally do something for nothing, even for a good cause, so next time I'lll pay £10 an hour for a rough translation - it's the only way.   And I will just have to crowdfund some money and keep it in reserve.  And it will happen again - TV reports in different languages come up all the time.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks for the offers of help, I'll reply to each individually.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • The friend I asked yesterday said she'd have done it for free! (Because though she's a translator, her qualifications are for written rather than audio pieces, so she wouldn't have felt comfortable charging for it). Glad you've found someone.
  • edited April 2016
    <a href="http://www.tvindalert.com">I</a> am - finally - getting it done for free!  It has just been a faff, since - perhaps understandably - people's initial enthusiasm to 'help' sort of evaporates after a day or two, there are always other things to do, nice weather, beer to drink, you never hear from them again.   It ends up just leaving you high and dry.<div><br></div><div>Duh!   Annoying!    Next time, as I say, I'll just offer to pay to begin with and find the money later.</div>
  • Back to the subject of Gadz. Is this the right thread? Hope so. I've never had a meal there before. Vegetarian. Rice.pots.couscous. salad, Lebanese style. Delicious. And Hussain only charged me a fiver. Wonderful man.
  • Lovely falafel wraps and treble shot coffee... good way to stave off a hangover!

Very much reminds me of my time in North Africa as it happens (no hangovers there though).