International delicatessen: a worthy addition to Stroud Green Road

I just visited this shop. Couple of doors down from Sainsburys, opposite the Italian farmers. Poor things have chosen what seems to me to be an undistinguished name, and they are in the place that used to be Woody's grill, of evil report. I wish I'd not been put off. They sell really great cold meat: Romanian and Hungarian stuff I bought was good. The smoked speck is amazing. And pickles in giant tubs. Stuff up the back of the shop too, but I didn't look up there. This isn't an advert. I'm a long term SG resident -- 38 years -- and I just think it would be sad if this nice couple didn't make a go of it. Have a go at the Hungarian salami and the speck. Before it all goes.

Comments

• The man running it seems like a nice chap.  I've only had the biltong, which is pretty decent if a bit dry. (Morley butchers in Crouch End is much better). <br>
  • Excellent addition in my humble opinion. I can vouch for the smoked speck and pickles, not to mention the Hungarian sauerkraut, homemade gelatinous "brawn" and meatballs which are all lovely. Highly recommended, even the rather eccentric fascination with biltong is an endearing kink. Nice.
  • edited May 2016
    This looks great, much of the fare is unknown to me.  I plan to go for a Hungarian/Romanian sampling menu one day soon, they tell me I can take my own wine (a bottle of Hungarian Bull's Blood sounds about right), park in the cafe area and they will lay on a selection of meats, cheese and pickles. Will report back.
  • edited May 2016
    I saw a "lunch deal" on their A-board outside. Do they still do that?<div><br></div><div>I've not seen any mention of it since, and my thoughts were that it was a loss leader for them?</div>
  • Lookellyl like it has closed down :(