Crying Beggar

Has anyone noticed a beggar that is usually under the bridge at Stroud Green Road or sometimes near the Arsenal shop who is always crying? I know it might seem callous of me but every time I have see him, which must be six or so times, he is crying aloud. Just seems a little bit odd he is ALWAYS crying, usually they are strumming a guitar and have a dog with them.

Comments

• Also sometimes at Highbury and Islington. I also think that it's not a coincidence, and is tantamount to fraud. Finsbury Park now has a bunch of regular beggars, who I suggest a doing it 'professionally' rather than from desperation.
  • The new thing in Town is accordions and beautiful pedigree dogs. Our neighbourhood police team told me the dogs are stolen in Denmark (I don't know why Denmark), and brought here. They do manage to reunite some with the owners but the beggars are well organised and skilled in removing the chips.
  • I've seen this guy a lot too, always crying. I assumed it was for maximum begging effect, but there's no denying it's very distressing. I've seen young kids pretty freaked out about it. Is there a team that deals with the 'regular' beggars in the area? Because no one seems to be moving them on or offering help. There is a girl that is constantly outside Sainsbury's, for example, and a guy that is now selling junk under the bridge.
  • There will be a regular team, from the council. They are usually called the neighbourhood hotspots team or something similar. The beggars seem to be mostly Islington side, I suppose because that's where the station and busiest shops are.
  • Or maybe Haringey move them on in Islington like Camden do.
  • edited June 2016
    The accordion guys don'the bother me. It's persistent beggars and pestering that I resent. There are 2 women, one young and one older constantly asking for money on Holloway Road literally from Archway to Highbury Corner, I have also seen them on Upper Street and Green Lanes.

@CityOfSin you need to contact the Safer Neighborhood Team. They are usually pretty good with dealing with this kind of issues.
  • There's also the young woman and young man who patrol seven sisters road from Holloway to the Bedford.

I never give to them, but I try not to judge as I don't know their backstory. For instance once you hear that a large portion of the older men on london's streets are actually veterans it changes your perspective a bit....
  • @TheMimsy: so why isn't the safer Neighbourhood team dealing with it already? Are the beggars operating when the SNT are not?
  • A complaint has to be made. They don't get involved with beggars or rough sleepers unless they have complaints from the public or businesses.