World's End Revamp

edited September 2007 in Local discussion
The World's End reopened tonight and what a very good job the new freehouse owners have made of it. We called in for a nosey and a pint and it looks like a super addition to SGR. Great refurb, looks stylish, niceish looking food without having 'gastrated' the place, and even on the first night seems to be attracting a 'better' SGR clientele. Could be Dairy competition unless they do things badly wrong. Call in for a pint on the way back from the tube and let me know your thoughts...

Comments

• edited 11:11AM
    How exciting. I will tomorrow.
    Think I was being a bit over optimistic calling it Dairy competition but is looking very nice all the same. Called in again last night and they had 7 fresh faced bar staff on eager to serve you and make sure you had a serviette under you beer etc. The place was packed but I think some of the dodgy old locals need to move on if it's to become a good SGR venue.
    i went in there for a pint and something to eat.............

food was pretty rubbish, beer was really good though.
    met the new manager, a really nice guy called stuart.
    i think they are going smoething different to the dairy, i think that the larrik is probably in more trouble than anyone.....

my first choice to watch the rugby world cup is without a doubt now the worlds end- not too sure on the food though, going to stick to the noble for that
  • IanIan
    edited 11:11AM
    I went in and whilst it was a nice revamp they don't t really know who their target market is supposed to be. We were drinking and it was good to have the rugby in the back but then they put on very loud music - even though it wasn't that full. And then the music kept changing genres - from RnB to Indi to Dance.

None of the people I was with (all stroud greeners) felt compelled to return.
    Thanks for comments guys. I wasn't trying to sell the place, just wanted to let you guys know that it's looking nice after its refurb. I wouldn't chance the food there myself but definitely agree with you Ian that they have yet to find their target market. I wish the new owner lot of success but the pub has to try very hard to shake of it's 'nonentity' status on SGR. Who knows?
  • AliAli
    In there last night, nice and clean version of what was there before. very quiet with about 20 people and quite a good Irish Folk/Rock Band which was too loud so left.

Can't be paying the refurb back yet.

It is part of a new chain which is buying up London neibourhood pubs and refurbing etc. Apparently the money has come from the guy who invented the Slug & L chain and also was involved with seed capital in the Larrick chain according to the Standard a while back
    Is the Larrick a chain? I've heard tell of the New Year's Day Leo parties at the Larrick as being the stuff of legend - anyone enjoyed the experience?
  • AliAli
    The one at Earls Coutr used to be the Prince of Teck
    http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/22/2210/Larrik_at_the_Prince_of_Teck/Earls_Court

Probbaly well know by quite a few Ozzies. There is also one in Fulham and I think in Marlyobone.

Not sure who owns them now but Greene King might have something to do with it