Network Rail unnerving plans for works along Gospel Oak - Barking line

Comments

• Did anyone make the SGRA meeting. I turned up at the time/place mentioned above but it didn't seem to be on.
  • edited September 2016
    OH no Trainspotters, thank you for sharing info and trying to go. I didn't get any notifications of it being cancelled ? :( . Was working couldn't go.
  • Network Rail's response included in the Councillors post, quite clearly states that they own the land so don't need additional permissions. They've also said that the most drastic nature clearance and highest fencing will be in areas that are not conservation area( I thought the conservation order applied only to the buildings in SG anyway).

Trackside environments are so important to a huge variety of wildlife as they are uncultivated with great biodiversity. Bees, butterflies, many varieties of insects,hedgehogs and birds all feed, breed and live well on embankments.

Goodbye lovely wildlife, trees and foliage, hello massive metal fences.
  • They may own the land where the fences will be placed but they are adjacent to local authority land (for example the fence on the end of Mount Pleasant Crescent). While NR's permitted development rights do indeed allow them to do the work planned , they do need to consult with the council on the works themselves and take careful consideration to any local planning restrictions like conservation areas, nature reserves, etc. So, NR cannot put up anything it likes and cut down all the trees without any discussion! We can put up enough pressure on the NR and the council then they will have to at least modify the plans in some way to mitigate the impacts.
  • edited December 2017
  • They are a public body, at least in legal terms so there are some levers that can be pulled. I have experience in public law that I am happy to bring to bear if useful/needed but at the moment the most effective levers are probably mobilising residents and threatening bad publicity/delay to make it worth their while to put the effort in to approach this sensitively.
  • Agree with you trains potter, not expecting some massive change of heart but if others are willing, a bit of pressure on both the council and NR will bear some fruit at least in taming the worst excesses.
  • Anyone heard back from NR yet? I have not.
  • I had a call last week from their trackside ecologist who was doing a field visit at Crouch Hill. He told me not to worry.
  • Oh that's good news Billy. Did he say any more than that?
  • edited October 2016
    Update - The NR contractors who will be replacing the fences aroundCrouch Hill visited the area yesterday and suggested that they could replace the fences without cutting down the trees and removing the plants (though they will need to be severely cut back). This should allow the vegetation to grow back next Spring. They also said they could paint the palisade fences so they as not so in your face - they were off to see NR to discuss. It seems that enough people have complained to make NR think about what they are going to do. But until NR formally confirms this we should keep up the pressure as these changes may still be inadequate. Keep up the fight! (Well sending them emails, tweets, etc plus to the Council of course). Went by the Wightman Road bridge new fences earlier today and this is not what you want!
  • Good work everyone. I hope they are similarly deferential to the trees on the rest of the route.
  • edited December 2017
  • Perhaps though the existing platforms were a bit low . My gues is that they will be repaved rather than entirely replaced as the track is only be lowered by Less than 0.5m. Still waiting for NR to formally respond to anything - may need to shower them with angry tweets!
  • UPDATE: NR has sent railway neighbours a new letter which tries to allay our concerns on the new fencing and clearing of the vegetation. While it does at least formally confirm that they will try and not devastate the plants or the trees though some may go along the Grove. The letter bolds a number of points but not necessarily to re-assure! The volumes of concerns seems to have had an effect though as they have agreed to meet residents on Monday 31 October for 30mins! So if you are interested come to the bridge at Mount Pleasant Villas at 08:00 sharp!
  • This morning's meeting was very unsatisfactory. It turns out that Network Rail's decision maker in this project--they call it the Sponsor--is called Rob Fairhead. Please drop him a line. His e-mail is rob.fairhead@networkrail.co.uk. His twitter account is @raretrack. He professes to be both a green and a conservationist. It may be a good idea to turn up the heat on Social Media. That is where the PR battle is waiting to be won.
  • Curious. I'd be grateful if you could share a few details about the meeting and why it was unsuccessful? I could use the stroudgreen Twitter account to make a bit of trouble.
  • edited October 2016
    No Stroud Green councillors from Haringey were present--hashtag Labour #Fail. The NetworkRail PR woman ran the meeting--polite but intractable. The project manager of the whole scheme stood silently beside her. The ecologist was friendly and supportive, the contractor genial and friendly but silent too. Cogent arguments about the fencing were made by the locals as well as several sensible suggestions about how NR could proceed with goodwill. All issues were deflected by this team onto the key decision-maker who in their language is called the "sponsor" of this project. We were told firmly and repeatedly that there was no consultation possible and no alternative to the proposals they would carry out on the basis of the risk assessment that they haven't shared. Apparently we have to lump it and shut up. Goodness knows why they bothered to actually call this meeting though I suppose it's another tick on their checkbox list. I overheard the manager woman quietly whisper to the contractor that they'd delay the works until this had all been properly discussed so there may be hope even though they ruled it out. The green fencing that is desired to mediate the emerging eyesore was used some years ago to fence off The Grove allotment boundary so there is a better precedent than unadorned aluminium palisades very close at hand.
  • To add to billy, NR were unmoving at the discussion but appear embarrassed by the fact that they have already set the precedent next door on the allotment (as well as the green fence at Finsbury Park adjacent to the East Coast Mainline) fact that they have not really even considered the conservation area restrictions even if they do not have to follow them. The fact that the council officers have taken little notice even when chased by residents and NR was also disturbing. A bit more pressure Arkady would be helpful - it is the 'one size fits all' strategy which is the most depressing. We are not against the principle of the works and NR protecting the railway just the insensitivity in the application!
  • Trainspotter have you had any joy from NR? You should chase them as well using Rob's email and the Twitter account.
  • No I have heard nothing directly from NR and was awaiting an update from the Councillor as to what the policy was for my section of the line. I will try the email you have given, thank you. My main concern is the trees rather than the fence - though I support your calls for the painting etc. Did this morning's meeting give any more info about those? Does anyone know what the conservation area position actually is? My house is in the Stroud Green conservation area and the line directly backs on to my garden.
  • My main concern is the trees.

Started putting pressure on Twitter, especially after seeing how sivere the clearing had been in some areas.

Thanks for the updates, very helpful.
  • Trainspotter, you may want to discuss the conservation area points directly with advisory committee who are local residents too. We are continuing to push on support from NR to restore any planting which is removed/cut back. The height of the fence is also an issue given that it is nearly twice the height of the current one and is taller than that along Finsbury Park!
  • It's all very well replacing things but if they take down a mature tree that didn't need to be removed then it will take decades to grow back. I think I'll have to get my head around this twitter lark.
  • I just received a phone call from an Adriaan Bekker from NR, who works for Rob Fairhead. I thought it was helpful. He made the following points: • Network Rail would only ever do the minimum vegetation clearance to meet the minimum standards for electrification. • Along my stretch of the line (Dagmar Road) the vast majority of trackside tree clearance has already taken place. If any further specific trees are found to have been missed/be dead or otherwise pose a threat and need to be removed he will contact me directly to explain which these are and why. • There will need to be further clearance to install the safety fencing but there are no regulations about clearance a certain distance either side of the fence so it’s just a case of removing whatever physically needs to be removed to get the fence in. It shouldn’t involve any mature trees but he will let me know if any trees are identified. • Because Dagmar Road is in a conservation area Network Rail have secured a dispensation from the original specification for a galvanised fence and it will now install green fencing along this stretch of the route. • The maintenance depot may take advantage of the line closure to undertake their regular vegetation maintenance, which is separate from his department so he can't speak for them, but they’ve already done much of this so he doesn’t envisage any more clearance as part of this process along my side of the line unless specific issues are identified. • His contact details are as follows: Adriaan Bekker Environmental Manager Network Rail IP Anglia Adriaan.Bekker@networkrail.co.uk Tel: 07918937453 Thanks for circulating the email address - I was getting nowhere with the general enquiry line but Adriaan was prompt in responding to my email and informative and courteous.
  • Update: I emailed Adriaan with my understanding of our conversation and he added a couple of clarificatory comments: There will need to be further clearance to install the safety fencing but there are no regulations about clearance a certain distance either side of the fence so it’s just a case of removing whatever physically needs to be removed to get the fence in. It shouldn’t involve any mature trees but you will let me know if any trees are identified. **_This will include general shrubs, bushes and small trees which should grow back fairly quick. So it will look a bit bare initially.** _ • Because Dagmar Road is in a conservation area Network Rail have secured a dispensation from the original specification for a galvanised fence and it will now install green fencing along this stretch of the route. **These will be assessed based on their visual prominence. For example a fence behind an existing fence we will not be green fencing. The visually prominent ones are generally facing public areas.
  • edited November 2016
    Rob Fairhead has now replied to many of those who wrote to him. I understand that he is proposing a second meeting in our neighbourhood. It will be combined with a site visit for himself and his esteemed deputy. He was polite and professional. Perhaps it would be best to stick with our Monday at 8am fixture as that worked well last week? Councillor Gallagher is also saying he'll attend.
  • Rob has been in touch with me as well - I have agreed with him that we should send a small number of residents in order for the discussion to be more manageable and hopefully more productive. Will be getting in touch with everyone to get a sense of who should come along.
  • So with people power we won the battle on the fencing and minimised the loss of vegetation. Still waiting for Adriaan to get back on planting proposals - has anyone else heard from NR? Oh yes, people power can make a difference @HolbornFox and @Mimsy - so you better watch it in your doom mongering padded cells!