Water Meters

They are putting in water meters. A rumour is going round that they are going to lead to higher bills, that we have to pay for installation, bear the cost of maintenance of the meter and repair of any future underground leaks. I believe this is cobblers. Does anyone know the facts? Why on earth is this scare story being circulated? I mean, it’s rubbish, isn’t it?

Comments

• I've lived in 3 places with water meters and have never had to pay directly for maintenance of the meter. Thames Water's website says that on average, customers use 12% less water when they switch to a meter. Where are the rumours coming from, Krappy?
  • edited December 2017
  • We had the water company chasing us about a meter, although I am pretty sure they would discover that they couldn't do it as when our building was converted to flats, I'm not sure the water was split properly. (Previous plumber has told us that I think). Can't remember what the latest was, I think we kept pointing out to them that they were welcome to come round but we weren't taking a day off to wait in all day for them. I am pro the concept of water meters, however, my suspicion is that what will happen is there will come a tipping point when enough houses have meters that the price starts to rise, thus levelling off any gains from using less water. After all, our water is run by a selection of monopoly private companies who consider their primary duty to be to pay dividends to shareholders. They won't want to be making less profit and if you get enough people on meters using less water that is what should theoretically happen.
  • That is exactly the plan and the same with smart meters.

It is not exactly hard to work out when someone is at home and what appliances people are using by the kw usage as they willingly give details over when buying shit they dont need.

Buy a thermostat as well that knows when you are in a certain radius of your house to turn your heating on. You can also sit in the local pub watching your front room on a camera and texting your radiator valves.
  • i think if it is just a one/two person household, a water meter would probably work out cheaper. however, a larger household probably would work out more expensive when a meter has been in for 12 months, you can't take it out as they have legal protections, even when you sell the house and the next people move in. i think even a tenant can request a meter to be put in, though not sure how the landlord consents to this the water companies can't force you to have a meter, but they will try and persuade you, and once it has been in for a year, then that is that forever
  • Time to spend an evening on MoneySavingExpert and in the company of Detective Inspector Google etc etc etc then :-(
  • Verga I am not sure your correct about compulsion, from the Thames Water web site "Our powers to install meters can also be found in section 162 of the Water Industry Act 1991, which grants permission for water companies to meter domestic premises on a compulsory basis in areas which have been determined by the Secretary of State to be of serious water stress (this includes the Thames Water region)." Read this you might be surprised how much water you actually use. Meters do reduce you costs. We have had one for 15 years and must of saved thousands of pounds over that time compared to Water Rates which are quite regressive in nature.
  • We discovered in our last flat that we were paying a ton of money for water rates for a one-bed flat - in fact as much as you would expect for a house. I suspected what happened is when it got converted each flat ended up paying a whole house worth's. I tried to challenge it but was told you couldn't. Only way to do so was if you asked for a water meter and they said you couldn't have one. Despite my suspicions on how the water industry will eventually ramp up prices, I don't doubt that now we'd save money with a meter, even with two kids.
  • You do not have a choice when you buy a property either, they roll up and fit a meter out the front, no idea how it is justified but that is what they do.
  • Papa L, I'm surprised you were told you couldn't challenge the charges. I've known a couple of people who did, successfully.