Criminals beware

Whats all this about then?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59466728@N00/34328563296/in/dateposted-public/

Looks like the picture link doesn't work, as usual. The subject of the question is all the yellow signs that have sprouted on lamp posts saying CRIMINALS BEWARE and referring to something called Smartwater.

Comments

• And by the way, there still doesn’t seem to be a way to post photos, which is the worst thing about this site.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Some police person turned up and gave me a special pen in which to invisibly mark my nickable stuff. Pen has a unique code. Nicked stuff can be scanned to show where it originated from. It's designed to put theives off as goods are traceable. The only reason I know this is because I unusually was at home in the day. I bet the majority of homes don't have a clue about this and it will make little difference, there are 4 flats in my building and I was the only person home. If you are minded to break into a flat are you really going to care whether something is marked with smart water?
  • We got the same delivered here, too.
    Its still sat in the drawer unused.
    So at least they can't steal the pen with out it being identified.
  • edited December 2017
  • Quite. If the police can't be bothered to follow up CCTV of bag snatches or investigate burglaries properly, what on earth makes anyone think they will bother scanning stolen property AND returning it to the owners. Sorry officer - not gonna happen, is it?
    I think my wife chucked it in the bin as the pen had no ink in it. Also we have nothing to steal.
    But there is a sticker on the door which should repel any crack heads immediately.
  • The pen has smart water not ink! Twelve-year-old was very enthusiastic and marked every moveable electronic immediately (and invisibly). I think it's more like microchipping a pet, if someone gets hauled in with a load of stolen stuff they'll be able to trace it back. Not holding my breath though.