Doodles

edited January 2008 in About this site
So attempted to tidy up my desk at work today and came across and funny page of scribbles Andy and I quite clearly drew out after a bottle or two of wine: ![LindyLayton](http://www.stroudgreen.org/pics/PoorMansLindyLayton.png) We'd like to make a little more of this site than just discussion threads. The directory and shop are half attempts but we'll soon be trying to shore up a bunch of ideas into a new design. Any thoughts or alternative scribbles most welcome as you are all, afterall, what the site is and who the site is for.

Comments

• edited 1:05AM
    I have no memory of this at all, and the sweary diagram suggests we were a few glasses of wine in, but it looks a lot like the site we've got. David - have you still got any versions of that funky yellow banner you did? It would be good to show that as a starter for 10. And the rest of you - unless you want the site to become largely focused on us ranting about Lily Allen, we'd like ideas for things to do with it.
  • edited January 2008
    No don't have that yellow banner. In retrospect it looked like the background of a Lilly Allen CD cover.
    it was ace
  • edited January 2008
    You see what I mean: ![Lilly's Mast](http://www.stroudgreen.org/pics/lillyMast.jpg) Awww, that dog was gorgeous at the florist. No longer there though which is a shame but he didn't look happy being tied up there _(That isnt actually the florist's huskie in the picture, just a representation I had in holding until he turned up again, alas he didn't...)_
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:05AM
    David, I love the banner but it does look like la Allen. Could you not replace her with a picture of an appropriate local celebrity, like Simon Pegg? In terms of new ideas, I have very little idea about what's possible, so am not sure I'll be any good at coming up with suggestions. Are there any good sites you would suggest looking at for inspiration?
  • edited January 2008
    Actually i just added Lilly before posting. Prior to that it was a chesse plant draping around the road sign. ![cheeseyMast](http://www.stroudgreen.org/pics/cheeseMast.jpg) Stay calm. Lilly isn't, I repeat, Lilly isn't taking over. As for ideas, we're toying with a form of cartoon strip once a week/_(decade)_, no matter how banal, then if members want to improve the quality of it they can start inputting ideas too _(Yes, our first idea is 'Lilly you're an idiot', surely someones got better?)_. T-Shirt/Mug/Printed-product-shit we'll try and open up a bit too, though that's a hard one without spending money ourselves. An Ebay page we're hoping to hook in so it scans only local pickup stuff around North London, so avoiding the usual bid/delivery stuff, hopefully creating opportunistic cheap local transactions. There's more but the general idea is that hopefully the member input and local scanning of internet stuff will create a more vibrant site. I'd be really interested in members ideas around picture sharing - perhaps create a Flickr group that I could hook the site into rather than us bearing the load. We should add a TV/Film review section or something that members can submit to. A full, serious breakdown of Steven King's Crouch End is soooo ripe for kick-starting the section - wasn't "Notes on a Scandal" filmed locally? Surely someone lived locally and got pissed off by the badly paid extras at some point? An alternative local review sort of thing. Perhaps members have blogs we could aggregate, maybe quantise some cross border Islington/Haringey council plans a bit more and see what spits back out for us to read, localise the data. Probably more to add but hopefully helps you think where we're thinking...
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:05AM
    I like the sound of 'quantising some cross border Islington/Haringey council plans' but even having looked up 'quantise' in a dictionary, I'm not sure what it means! Still, I think I would like to know a bit more about plans for the area - could we start doing wiki-style responses to relevant local council consultations? That sounds really geeky. Sorry.
  • edited January 2008
    I like the sound of doing more with the site. I'd like the directory to be less hidden, and maybe even more detailed if that's possible. Not sure how
    Ooh, I'll get my thinking cap on.

First thought... The Directory is getting a tad cluttered with all the points. Would it be possible to tweak it so if a user was to click on a category, say restaurants, the map then shows only the pointers for restaurants?
  • edited January 2008
    __quan·tise__ –verb (used with object), -tised, -tis·ing. Mathematics, Physics. to restrict (a variable quantity) to discrete values rather than to a continuous set of values. Ok, I've split the map to show just the points for a given category. So its showing all as default, but then if you click a pub, it filters down to just pubs. Any better?
  • edited January 2008
    Except I've now broken the search on it. _sigh_. ok fixed but it doesn't quite flow as well. Maybe we revise the functionlity a bit more thoroughly we've done a bunch of other stuff.
    A button for "show all" might help? Thanks for taking the time