Walnut Cafe has closed down

2»

Comments

• Has it really? I liked that place and thought it was doing well. Are they looking for more salubrious premises?
  • wasn't it a pop up place only there for a short time?
  • I just miss a tasty burger on the way home! Considering all the food options we have in the area, it's hard to get a decent takeaway burger around here..
  • And a new cafe is about to open Brick and Olive. It is in the old convenience stall that used to be the centre of SG Forest near the occasional flower shop between C Charles and Tesco's
  • Good.we are short on cafés
  • A lot of the new places don't seem to be open very regular/extensive hours. I never got to try Gilly's or the new burger place and still haven't tried the Caribbean shack, because they never seem to be open when I'm in the market for that kind of food - I have tried and been disappointed several times. I had to try three times to try Emba Soira because it isn't open on Sunday lunchtime. Perhaps I'm unusual in being more likely to be around during the day, or perhaps these businesses are missing a trick? Sorry to see Walnut go too but I have to admit it wasn't one of my favourites in Stroud Green - that building is more inviting as a cafe/workspace than a formalish restaurant, and I agree on the pricing.

My husband and I are both immigrants from the North. The children (7 and 3) are London born and have delightfully erratic vowels but it was a surprise how young they were when demonstrating that their primary influence was not parental.
  • lazyatomlazyatom Fonthill Road
    There's also "My Gufo" (http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/89400) which closed, and the last time I walked past Hodge Podge (near the Stapleton Tavern) it was closed on a Saturday night -- has it also gone? We had great meals at Walnut, Traiteur and Hodge Podge -- it'd be really sad if they have all disappeared.

I can't help but wonder: is there something wrong with all of these restaurants, or are people just dining out less often these days? (though I won't speculate why, as that's bound to be contentious...)
  • I think that the style of the restaurants you mention seem to work in Hackney but not around Stroud Green.

That, IMO, is because people in Stroud Green are on the whole more down to earth and less trustafarian.
  • My theory is there are few businesses eyeing up the new apartments at City North and general redevelopment of the tube station. The first movers are hoping to be able to last till that is done but just running out of cash and aren't lasting the distance.
  • edited August 2018
    I don't think those places were too fancy for people in Stroudgreen, and to be honest I can see restaurants closing down regularly in Hackney too. Stroudgreen may not be as popular, I do think there is room for a few higher standard places.

That said, I think the economic situation is not that great, places are generally not that busy in London at the moment.

To me, this has often more to do with bad concept/business plan. To be fare, after trying Gilly's Fry bar I though it would close after 2 weeks. Concept was interesting but the quality wasn't that great for the price. Traiteur N4 was really nice, but unfortunately the quality of the food is not everything. The layout of the place was weird, not super cosy, plus the concept has been changing quite a few times...

Good examples for the people who want to open new restaurants in Stroudgreen!!!
    Le Merlin Crêperie - Clapton: Nice little place, good quality, well priced, very well managed.
    Primeur - Newington Green: Really nice space, top quality food, amazing wine, pricy but really original.
    Burger Place - Agree with @Slats there is room for it(Something similar to Max, but with burgers could work :)