How much??

edited March 2008 in Local discussion
A friend spotted this house for sale in the window of KFH in Crouch End

Property details:
Albert Road, Stroud Green, N4
£1,100,000

This Victorian terraced home is located within the Stroud Green Conservation area moments from the amenities of Stroud Green Road and Finsbury Park Station. Benefiting original features throughout and arranged over three floors, the accommodation includes two interconnecting reception rooms, fitted kitchen/diner, cloakroom, four double bedrooms, beautiful bathroom and south west facing garden.

How much?

For an area that's "Not-so-salubrious" and "Far from fashionable" ( I think that being described as far from fashionable by the Mail is actually quite cool ), you wouldn't expect homes in excess of £1M - or would you?

Comments

• edited 1:36PM
    http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=760583&agentid=05346

the link might or might not work
    That's just daft. I live on Albert rd. The people two doors down from us bought their entire house two years ago for less than 500k.
  • AliAli
    edited 1:36PM
    Apparently according to Upmystreet.com we are type 18s on the Acorn Scale

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-neighbours/neighbourhood-profile/l/N4+3RT.html
  • edited March 2008
    Here are the "Type 18s" ----- These young multi-ethnic communities are primarily found in London, with many living in houses which have been converted into flats. Most people are in their twenties and thirties and there are only a few, very young children. The population is diverse. On the whole they are well qualified. Many are in professional and managerial jobs, with good incomes. Others have lower level qualifications and are likely to be office and clerical staff. There are also a significant number of students. The majority of people are renting their homes privately. However, there is also a high proportion living in Housing Association property. Public transport is by far the most popular method of travelling to work or study. Residents are also happy to walk, and only a minority see the need for a car. At this stage in their lives this type are not really thinking about investing their money. They will spend their spare money on travel, and will take long haul trips as well as European holidays. They like exercise and sport, as well as more contemplative pursuits such as the theatre, the arts and self-improvement classes. They are also very interested in current affairs and read The Guardian and Independent as they commute to work. ------- This category might as well be called "North London". Here is a translation. *Punitive house prices mean you live in a flat and you couldn't afford kids even if you wanted them. The cost of running, parking and keeping a car means you get the bus. Exercise, theatre and cinema are what you write at the end of your CV under 'interests' because Playstation, binge drinking and watching DVDs don't sound like go-getting activities. You spend all your money on travel because you have to get out of the city every few months or you will go postal on the tube. You have no money, but try not to think about it. You prefer Pappagone to Porchetta and Facebook to MySpace. You enjoy spelling. You like the environment and long haul flights. You talk about moving out to the country but you know deep down you wouldn't enjoy it.*
    I think that translation deserves a Blue Peter badge. ![badge](http://www.upload.moldova.org/social/2006/mar/Blue_Peter_Badge.gif)
    Ooh - that's like mine!
    Here she goes.
    thank you. i shall treasure it.
    Pah! Beware the green-eyed monster tosscat and dominic!
    <a href="http://www.foxtons.co.uk/newhomes/hanley-road/" target="qwerty">Half a million quid!</a>

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
  • edited March 2008
    I read about 6 months ago that a property on Stapleton Hall Road broke the £1m price bracket which was a first for SG (whether it sold for that or not I don't know). £1.1 sounds a bit odd, I'm surprised KFH didn't round it up to £1.25m - what's 150,000 between friends?

My postcode brings up type 16 'well off town & city areas' not type 18 'multi ethnic etc'. I live in Richmond and read the FT on the way to work (apparently)
    That's bonkers.
    @ Poxy - They bought the site for £400k off Islington Council on the sly (it never hit the open market).

They got planning permission and sold it on for c.£800k

Then I presume it cost c.£750k to build, so they would be looking at a nice profit.

Easy money - buy off council cheap, ask council for planning permission, sell at market value. Apparently, anything sold for under £500k doesn't get looked at in too much detail.

I can feel an anti-Islington rant coming on, but as I am in Haringey I will take a deep breath and leave it there.
    Thatcher would be proud.
    Christ on a bike - are those the flats they've built where the library was? £500k?? They're having a laugh!
    Going back to that KFH advert in question: for how long has there been a 'Stroud Green Conservation Area'? (or did KFH just invent one?)
    Since the early 1990s or late 1980s I think, according to the legal documents when we bought our flat. Albert road is in it. Not that you can tell.
    @ katiejane - yes, the old Arthur Simpson library
    SAVE THE ARTHUR SIMPSON LIBRARY!!!!

oh...
    I have heard mention of a Stroud Green Conservation area too. It's more plausible than calling Green Lanes 'Harringay Village', in my opinion.
    Has anyone ever been to the funny railway nature reserve on Green Lanes. It's always locked when I go past.
  • AliAli
    edited 1:36PM
    This tells all

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-mainpage/conservation/conservation_areas.htm