The rebirth of Piccolo Diavolo

Comments

• edited March 2022
    It was very quiet in there a few days ago, but I had excellent tagliatelle with mushrooms. Just had a look at their site. Unfortunately the copy about their chef etc. is meaningless BS, but it’s early days.
  • Long live the Piccolo Diavola.
  • That business being sold on was a very sad outcome of the pandemic. The guys took on the space at just the worst possible time just before Covid and tried so so hard to make it work by any means during the period of restrictions. Sometimes its just not fair how things work out. I wish them all the best whatever they've chosen to do. @slainte
  • I’ve heard tell that Massimilliano (the original owner) sold up and went back to Rome. It’s such a shame, as the restaurant was doing so well before they moved to the much larger premises and the pandemic struck. I suspect M incurred a lot of debt from that. Still, it’s going to be interesting to see how the new PD will distinguish itself from Pappagone, the noisy Italian just down the road.
  • ent there a few days ago and nothing like as good as it used to be. Staff weren't italian, and frankly neither was food. Will give them a little while to bed in, but not optimistic. Real shame that M was Covid victim. Pappagone is heaving at any time of day or night - they must be doing something right!
  • edited March 2022
    I ate in Piccolo Diavolo and spoke to the previous owner days before he moved from the little space to the monster, I totally get that he had ran the course and needed to move on to bigger things but that old Porchetta space is just so cold and lacking in atmosphere.

To move from a homely little trattoria into that behemoth was a massive risk even without covid.

What is the rent, 2 grand a week before rates, produce, wages and (now) utility woes? That is a lot of pizza to sling.

By comparison I am also a big fan of La Saporita but if they moved into that space…?

Pappagone definitely are doing something right, it seems busier than ever now and I have to say I think it is even better than it used to be.

I don’t even know why that is but everything is on point, even the cocktails are better than most places, as are the staff.

I have not seen the new site in the Elephant & Castle, I get the feeling it is in a modern space, I hope it works for them.
  • In the early Porchetta days, it was so busy there were queues at the door, even midweek.

The atmosphere was clearly as important as the food, since following their refurb I never saw the place busy again. The informal feel was gone, but it wasn't upmarket either, so total no-man's land mediocrity.

Pappagone have retained the same informal vibe they've had since those early days, so that must be what the diners of Stroud Green are looking for.
  • edited April 2022
    I can remember when all the Porchetta restaurants did great food and had matching atmospheres, the one in Muswell Hill is a sad sight now, I used to go there at least 3 or 4 times a month many moons ago.
  • I agree about Il Piccolo Diavolo. Not remotely Italian - seems family run, very hard working and nice, but Bulgarian. If I want Bulgarian food I'll go to a Bulgarian restaurant. If I want Italian food I'll go to an Italian restaurant. I wish them well but I wont be going again.

Why don't they rebadge the restaurant as Bulgarian and start from there? There must be something palatable on the Bulgarian menu.