SG and Crouch End Ukrainian refugees facing homelessness - can you help?

You will probably have read about many of the Homes for Ukraine refugees facing homelessness after the end of their six month placement. This is happening to several we know of in Stroud Green and Crouch End (mainly women and children). This is a very unhappy situation all round as with the price of rented accommodation, unaffordable to most, many will have nowhere to live and be forced into homeless hostels between now and December.

All these people are legal, have visas, qualify for universal credit and housing benefit, their children are in school (Stroud Green, Rokesley, Christ the King for example) and are able to work, but may only be able to get very low paid jobs, or if professional (for example a nurse) are unable to follow their occupation because their qualifications are not accepted. They have money and are settled locally, but the high rents charged by estate agents are simply unaffordable.

So I'd like to put out a shout to anyone who might take a Ukrainian mother-and-child in locally, as a lodger, for example, even if only for a short time. Or perhaps someone knows of an empty house or flat, has an unoccupied granny flat or spare room or annex that could be pressed into service, even for a few weeks. Ir is anyone (eg an academic) taking up a temporary post abroad for a few months and needs a flat-sitter? An AirBnB that could be let on a long rental? Anything?

All these people are in need, they are lovely people, most of them speak reasonable English by now, and all the administrative issues like visas, GP registration, benefit claims, schools and travel cards are sorted. They have been transplanted from their usual lives into a foreign country and a different culture. It is a cultural exchange that goes both ways - if it's an adventure for them, it's an adventure for those of us who are hosting too.

Any suggestions please, DM me. It's getting quite urgent! Thanks.

Comments

• Dear all,

Can you help two Ukrainian mothers and their 7 year old sons find a two bedroom flat to rent? It needs to be within reasonable reach of their sons' school at Rokesly . There is a real risk of homelessness for them at the end of September as their stay via the Government's Ukraine Scheme comes to an end. The commercial renting market is beyond tough with 30 or more people competing for each property.

If you don't know of any flats, a short term let in a room in a shared house from Oct 1st to the New Year for one adult and child could protect them from returning to a war zone.

As a minimum, can you forward to your local networks?

Please message me if you have specific suggestions.

Best wishes
  • edited September 2022
    I've posted this on the street whatsapp - I'll let you know if anyone responds. But it's such a tough time. I hope something turns up