Hornsey Road

edited April 2008 in General chat
Does walking up Hornsey Road give anybody else the shivvers? Not sure why, but it does for me... Also, the awful Shaftesbury pub has closed down. Not sure in what capacity, but it's been dead in there since the smoking ban.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    That stretch of Hornsey Road between Tollington and Shaftesbury Road is one of the most depressing stretches of road in London.

The closure of The Shaftesbury appears permanent given the nature of the window boarding. At the other end of the stretch of road Fayer's the plumbers has closed to be replaced by a development of 22 flats. I'm guessing the Shaftesbury will go the same way as the Sussex Arms and the Devonshire Arms on Tollington Way and be converted into flats.
  • edited 10:02PM
    Is that the stretch with the spiritualist church on it? Has anyone ever been?
    No, tosscat. Have you?
    Drumming up business, tosscat?

You are the Right Reverend Professor Doctor Bishop of the the First Enlightened Spiritualist Church of Hornsey Road, aren't you?
  • edited April 2008
    I go by many names Pip, although, unlike some, I don't erase all existence of the previous ones when I change them.
    On a less depressing note, Peter the tailor is good. So is the barbershop And if you need any glass for windows, then AMG glass are also pretty good. And the cab firm 0207 272 1717 is also pretty good. And the mad lady is also quite pleasant, considering.
    and not forgetting the florist. She's great. She whipped up a fantastic bouquet for us recently for £15 which looked like it cost loads more. A pox on Crouch End florists!
    To be fair, Dragon vets are fantastic.

And the pet shop down by the Italian bakery is good. He will deliver pet food and cat litter for free. He's cheap too.
    Another vote for Dragon Vets. They are ace.
    @Geoff - yes, Peter the tailor is great! He adjusted my trews very skillfully and was most charming.
    Is Peter the tailor the little place almost opposite the post office depot, with the 2 old guys working away in the window? I really want to find something that needs adjusting or mending just so i can go in there and talk to them.
    They speak hardly any English. I went in a while ago to have some button and button holes added to some blouses for my wife. It took an age for me to ask if he could do it and for him to say no. Quite comical in hindsight but not at the time.
    Peter is the old guy working away. I thought his English was okay; though if you are having communication problems try Greek. And cheaper than places further this way.
    Actually, it's Steve the tailor, not Pete. It's an unusual choice of name coz they really don't speak much English and I can't imagine them being called either Steve or Pete. When I went there to get my trousers taken in I was a bit unsure about getting changed in their little toilet but Steve reassured me that he was "honourable man". I thought I could probably beat him up anyway, as he's very short.
    How did I get confused and think it was Pete and not Steve? Spreading misinformation - imagine emily embarrasment on getting his name wrong - lucky we sorted this out in time.
    I've used the Tailor, he was OK but it was a half arsed repair of a cuff on a wooly zip up (not cardigan) I used to have. He charged me for two cuffs and obviously only touched one, and I was too English to complain. I just vowed never to go there again. The vet's is good, the post office not so much. The barbershop people switched mid sentence from English to Greek and scared me away, the one and only I went in there. I prefer Met's barber shop opposite Woody Grill. The little model shop is a bizarre thing to find on Hornsey Road. And what about the Thai massage parlour?
  • AliAli
    edited 10:02PM
    The Blacksmith is pretty good