Stroud Green local history

Over the winter I researched the distinctly whacky, indeed insane, story of the so-called "Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green" (1750-1780) and its connection with our own Stapleton Tavern. The outcome, shared here, was far stranger than I had ever thought possible. I've now posted the true story on my personal blog, here. Shares, likes and comments appreciated - enjoy.

https://thatmikedurham.wordpress.com/2023/03/01/a-toast-to-the-mayor-of-stroud-green/

A version of this article will shortly be published in the annual Bulletin of the Hornsey Historical Society, and I've also posted a cut-down version on a web page, www.krappyrubsnif.co.uk, which, with a bit of help, love and tlc, might form the start of a micro local history hub if anyone were interested. I had been hoping to celebrate the 250th anniversary with a mock election at the Stapleton, as was held in 2011 and 2017, but that is now looking unlikely. I personally, however, will nip into the pub on July 26th and raise a toast to the mayor, Thomas Legg, on his 250th anniversary.

Comments

• Interesting read, thx for the research Krappy would seem a shame not to mark the anniversary with some sort of event however modest.
  • edited March 2023
    In the immortal words, I can't be arsed. Life is too short to keep pushing at a closed door. I have put a fair amount of effort into trying to organise something but, in contrast to 2017 and 2011, support has been lukewarm, to say the least. Civil reaching out emails to likely people have been met with polite indifference, or nothing at all. I'm wasting my time. I'm going off to write the world's greatest novel instead. I have lived in this area for 27 years. Something has changed in this area, there is nothing like the proud sense of place, good humour and community spirit there used to be. People just seem to be driven by money, the consumption of takeaways, sushi, noodles and Netflix, and pubs are for football, shots and losers. I am not the organising kind, and I can see no way to make anything happen. But as I say, I personally, unheralded, will nip into the Stapleton Tavern on Wednesday July 26th, and raise a toast to jolly Sir Thomas Legg on his 250th anniversary. You are very welcome to join me. I'll be the one under the picture in the tricorn hat.
  • Fair enough, Ive lived here for forty two years (Ha!) and it has certainly changed in that time. Ill hope to look in and buy you a pint
  • edited March 2023
    To be fair pubs happen less in the childrearing years. My street is amazingly community minded but lots of it is focused around kids - and every other household seems to have some, completely different to when I moved here a long time ago. But I'm all for celebrating the ancient corporation - send out an announcement near the time and I'll turn up (and circulate!)
  • Very decent of you, c-k.

• Here we go. "An intriguing roller-coaster ride through life, for some, in 18th century Stroud Green where real life really seems to have been stranger than fiction. Wouldn't we all like to have been part of that Corporation?" (Hornsey Historical Society, Bulletin 64, out now - comments from Publications Committee member).

https://thatmikedurham.wordpress.com/2023/03/01/a-toast-to-the-mayor-of-stroud-green/
  • This is the ChatGBT version of the story The Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green was a group of local landowners and businessmen who formed a corporation in the mid-18th century to manage the common lands in the area of Stroud Green, which was then a rural area in the outskirts of London. The corporation was responsible for maintaining the roads, footpaths, and public spaces in the area, as well as managing the grazing of animals on the common lands.

One of the properties that the corporation owned was a tavern known as the Stapleton Tavern, which was located on what is now the corner of Crouch Hill and Stapleton Hall Road in North London. The tavern was built in the early 18th century and was named after the Stapleton family, who were local landowners and members of the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green.

The Stapleton Tavern became a popular gathering place for local residents and travelers passing through the area. It was also used as a venue for public meetings and events, including auctions and elections.

Over time, the area around the Stapleton Tavern became more developed, and by the mid-19th century, it was a bustling urban center. The tavern changed hands several times over the years and underwent various renovations and additions, including the construction of a concert hall in the late 19th century.

Today, the Stapleton Tavern is a popular pub and restaurant, and it continues to be a landmark in the area. Although the Ancient Corporation of Stroud Green no longer exists, its legacy lives on in the name and history of the Stapleton Tavern