Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Tollingtons Fish Bar RIP

MHPMHP
edited August 16 in Local discussion
So sad to discover Tollington’s Fish Bar is no more. Well that is not strictly true, it’s under new ownership and is now a hip tapas bar, I’ve no doubt it’s good, very popular with great reviews but I just want a local traditional chip shop! I don’t find “The Chippy” on SGR as good, is there anywhere else in walking distance?

Comments

• The previous incarnation was fantastic... so matching that will be a tall order.
  • edited August 15
    They are not trying to match it though, it's the same people from the Auld Triangle "glow up" and it looks rammed every time I walk past (and has been positively reviewed by the hipster press already).

Re existing chip shops, I think The Chippy is better than it used to be tbh, still using rubbish frozen chips though.

The only proper ones I know now are Chip Inn and Kingfisher (which has changed hands but still worthy), both on Holloway Road.

I've not been to the two on Blackstock Road for donkey's years but I assume they're still there with the football trade.
  • I think E Mono has gone totally downhill, maybe it's a franchise because it's nothing like the one in Kentish.
  • Apologies, my comment was unclear, I meant it could be difficult to find another chip shop to match the previous Tollington's. Since the new hipster venue isn't a chip shop there's no direct comparison to be made.
  • Actually probably my fault for misreading your post, but yeah I agree, it was a great chip shop, maybe you just don't get decent chip shops in dystopia?
  • The new Tollingtons is by the people who own the Plimsoll rather than the Triangle I think. Am looking forward to trying it out, though it's obviously not a chippy any longer.

Not sure if i'd classify it as a hipster venue, it's just a restaurant surely?
  • Yes the Plimsoll, previously known as the old Auld Triangle.