New school plans

edited October 2008 in Local discussion
*The latest missive from the FOPW* **To Friends of the Parkland Walk** As many of you will know, a major scheme is being developed by the Borough of Islington that could have a significant impact on the Walk. The area affected is adjacent to the south of the Walk between Crouch Hill and the pedestrian bridge at the end of the old station platforms near Crouch End Hill. Here there is a large area of only partly used land. There are at present a nursery school (Bowlers) and a hard football area in use on the land. There is also a disused community centre (originally a bowling green and club building). Although adjacent to the Walk, the area is almost invisible from it, so you may be unaware of it. There are several paths joining to the Walk and crossing the area under discussion, so why not go and have a look? There is also the large bulk of the CAPE youth centre on the edge of the Walk by Crouch Hill. This was formerly a never-used transformer station for the proposed London Underground electrification of the railway. The basic plan is to close the present Ashmount primary school on Hornsey Lane and demolish the nursery and community centre on this site. A new Ashmount school and nursery would then be built here. Part of the area will become the play area for the school and part will be public open space. The underlying concept is not to have completely separate functions, but to try to integrate them where possible. This particularily applies to the open spaces and play areas. If possible, they would be multi-use, and the area known as the Crouch Hill Community Park This includes the adjacent part of the Parkland Walk, which would be 'enhanced'. The CAPE building would be retained as a youth centre. It would be developed with new facilities such as an ecology centre, which would be primarily aimed at assisting visits by schools. As far as the Walk is concerned, the main path would remain. Some of the other paths would change, partly to encourage use of the Walk directly to and from the school. The boundary fences would go, and the Walk would merge into the park and school areas. An 'Advisory Board' meets occasionally. It allows representatives of the school and nursery staff and parents, police, other Islington departments etc. to meet the designers and planners. The Friends of PW are included. According to the last timetable, Islington are expecting to make a planning application in November. The FPW Committee will consider the plans and probably make comments on behalf of the Friends. If you let us know your views we will be able to consider them. You will be able to make your own comment, of course, and can include any matters you wish. The Friends will confine themselves to the effects on the Parkland Walk. When the application is made, plans will be available at Islington offices. They will also be on the Islington website, and as soon as we find out this has happened we will inform you, and hopefully provide a link. It seems probable that the application will be considered by the Mayor of London's office as well as Islington Planning Committee. If all goes well, construction could start in Summer 2009, and the school open in Autumn 2010. If any members of the Friends are particularily interested in the details of this scheme, and would like to assist in considering them, and informing members and the Committee, please let me know.

Comments

• edited 2:21AM
    Sounds much better than a monorail to Muswell Hill ...
    How do I get on their e-mail list, Andy? I can't find it on their site.
    **Here's the latest on the developments around the Parkland Walk, from the [Friends of Parkland Walk](http://www.parkland-walk.org.uk/) mailing list.** You may remember I sent a message to members about this major development that will affect the Walk. That message is attached below for info. The planning application has now been made and comments may be made to Islington Planning Dept in the next few weeks. The Committee will be sending their comments on behalf of the Friends, but it is of course possible for you to do so yourselves. The formal deadline at present is 5 February, but partly because of the problems on the website described below, this will be extended, and we have been told it is likely that comments will be accepted until the end of that month. If you are interested, there are three ways you can get detailed information about the scheme. 1. This coming Saturday, 24th January, Islington will be holding an exhibition at the CAPE Youth Centre just off Crouch Hill (the large brick building by the Walk) from 12 noon to 2pm. This is not fully public, it is primarily for those residents living near the site, but Islington have said that Friends will be welcome. 2. The plans and documents are at 'Contact Islington' (222 Upper Street) and the library at Archway. 3. The plans and documents should be on the Islington website. Access details are given below. Beware!, there are more than 20 plans and 30 documents, some large. When considering the plans, we will not be concerned with the school itself or the land immediately around it, but only with matters that affect the Walk. None of these are as serious as we once thought, partly because of our earlier input, and many could well be beneficial. These are primarily: Changes to the management of the landscape on the Walk and adjacent to it. Changes and additions to the footpaths. The effects of the development of the CAPE building (e.g. noise and light pollution). But to see the stuff on the website: Go to Islington Council’s website www.islington.gov.uk. - see ‘Quick Links’ on the left hand side of the screen, click on 'Planning', Click on 'Online Planning' on the Right Hand side of the screen. Then click on 'agree', then on 'search the applications database.......' Enter P082526, click on 'search'. Click on 'P082526', then click on 'documents and plans'. Then finally click on 'view documents'. However, a number of important documents are not on the website at present. Islington are having problems getting versions usable, but hope to do so very soon. The missing documents include landscape design and the transport assessment that should explain the footpath proposals. It is hoped thay will be available by Thursday. Of the items already there, W09 is a good place to start. This is a clear plan of all the proposals. W36 is almost the same but in black and white. For a comparison, W35 is a similar plan of existing, but includes contours which make it hard to read. The best for CAPE seem to be W20 and W45 . Then in more detail W44, W46, W47, W48. None of the other drawings and documents show or describe any of our interests as far as I can tell! David Warren Chair, Friends of the Parkland Walk
    My head hurts
    any chance of a brief synoposis of the development from anyone?

I've no idea if i'm for or against it!
    oops, i've now read the initial post!