New style McDonalds SGR

edited March 2009 in Local discussion
I know it's not good but I do like the occasional cardboard tasting meal in the form of McD. I wonder if a new style (i.e. the nice dark green and wood branding) McDonalds would be a welcome addition to SGR? Perhaps underneath the new development? The new stores have really nice lighting which would like great at night time and also lovely lime green chairs not to mention a fantastic extended menu with something for everyone.

Comments

• edited 7:28PM
    NO NO NO NO NO

(no)
  • edited March 2009
    Not to rain on your parade but I can't think of a worse idea. Actually, I can: another fake KFC would be worse. Sorry, not really a fan of crap fast food
    predicaments is...

a. Taking the piss
    or
    b. Works for MaccyD's

Can we have a vote, please?
    i heard from a friend of a friend (reliable eh, but it was via some sort of baby class), that there were people on the site deliberately posting things like "wouldn't it be great if there was a mcdonalds", just to wind up other members of the site. No, no, no, said I. Such people would be asshats. Surely no-one would do that. Ho hum.
    believe it or not
    I'd actually love a Starbucks, no sarcasm involved. I can't be bothered going in CE for my latte fix
  • benben
    edited 7:28PM
    The guy who runs Dotori told us that the retail unit of the residential flats opposite (next to the 12 Pins) is owned by McDonalds, and has been for some time. They've just never chosen to develop it. I'm surprised, as I'd have thought that it would do quite well next to the tube/bowling alley/pub.
    I eat at McDonalds, on average, once every three years. It's always at the BA terminal at JFK when my flight is delayed. Unfortunately, McD is the best of the half a dozen dining options.

So I'd never advocate the opening of a McD in Stroud Green.

Having said this, how come Green Lanes has a 24-hour McDonalds? I'm not jealous of the establishment, just the operating hours. Why is there a market for 24-hour fast food in Green Lanes but not here?

And if it were a choice between a McD and yet another fried chicken joint, I'd be tempted to vote for the former. I suspect that the standards of food preparation are higher and the staff are better paid.
    Nix there are plenty of places on SGR that do latte.
    Oh God Ben I hope thats not true because I live there and if McD's open under my flat I will move faster than humanly possible
  • FinFin
    edited 7:28PM
    I'd rarely visit myself, but I could live with a McDonalds in the area. And if the man from Dotori is correct, I'd prefer they did develop the site rather than leave it vacant (sorry Nix). It's been empty for far too long.
    I'd love them to develop it because at the moment it looks like I live in a squat from the outside! But definatly not a McD's!
  • I remember the very strong local opposition to the one they tried to open in Hampstead. Mcdonalds got their way, if memory serves, by agreeing to a quaint, respectful exterior. I wonder if this was the prototype for the new design of which Predicaments speaks?

I think Muswell Hill successfully opposed a McDonalds, which doesn't surprise me as they'll oppose anything up there. I've never encountered so many bigots in one place (The Clissold Arms).

Personally have nothing against McDonalds, but I'm with Rainbow Carnage on this one -- good for emergencies, and compared with another chicken joint, it's not really that big a deal. Not tried the one in JFK, however, but there's a good one in Hong Kong if you're stuck for breakfast and can't read Cantonese. And it's 24 hours, too! Yay!
    that's some disappointingly half-hearted trolling there predicaments.