Taxi Scam

edited December 2008 in Local discussion
Hello SG

I am a new member but have been a regular viewer of the board for a while now.

I just wanted to warn people of a woman who knocked at my door last night claiming to live 3 doors down with her husband Steve, who was in hospital, and who she urgently needed £6.50 for a the taxi ride to see him. She was very adamant that she was a neighbour and declared complete surprise that I didn’t recognise her. However, she had recently played the same trick on the old lady who lives next door to me and who had given her £20 and so forewarned I sent her on her way. She scampered quickly when I rang the next door bell so she could repay my neighbour while she was here!

This was on Tollington Park but I imagine she’s routinely hitting all the streets.

Jamber

Comments

• edited 11:44AM
    Please please please can the next person hit up by Mr Williams say "yes yes £6.50, Steve, Taxi, we know - you're the one everyone's writing about on the internet"
    She did the same to mum in Haslemere Road Crouch End and then about 6 weeks ago at 12.00am our bell rang and my husband stuck his head out the window to be greeted with the same story about being a neighbour etc. He didnt recognise her and was a bit freaked out as it was late and closed the window. So she is still going strong.
    I'll tell her to go easy. She worries a little too much.
    i forgot to say that a few weeks ago a man came up to me by the world's end and said his daughter had been taken to hospital and he needed some money for a taxi. i asked which hospital and he said, er, i don't know but i can ring the ambulance and find out. then he offered to give me his rolex and passport and cameraphone as deposit for taxi money. needless to say, i told him to go away. but he was almost crying! i did feel bad. but there was no way he was telling the truth. i think we should play scamster bingo. i've nearly got a line.
    Our friendly neighbour Mrs. Williams just called by Oxford Road. The wee dear was only after £8.50 for some taxi money to get to work and was terribly embarrassed, and she lost her contact lens and I expect her dog ate her homework too.
    I love the fact that she never changes her name. It's touchingly naive. Please someone tell her about twitter or something.
    If we ever encounter 'Mrs Williams' I'm going to try to get a photo of her so I can post it.

Or can anyone who has seen her already <a href="http://flashface.ctapt.de/" target="_blank">create a photofit</a>.
    Is she a rather rotund individual? Tall? Dark hair, early 30's? Hangs out with Pete the Big Issue seller at the White Lion of Mortimer? She used to hang at the station, with a wheely trolley, telling the same old sob story and scamming people for money which she promptly spent at the aforementioned pub...she did it on the bus once and i fair near lost it with her. She makes my blood boil....
    My attempt at a photo fit was rubbish, but I can remember a few details. She is afro-caribean, perhaps in her 30s, has distinguishing teeth (although I can't exactly remember why). I don't remember her being particularly rotund. I'd say fairly lean and tall, say 5' 8, with a local moderately well-spoken north london accent.
    i love the word "rotund".

that is all.
    Unfortunately I too was suckered in - a temporary lapse in senses.

I had a black women, quite slim built, maybe around 40ish, wearing a red head scarf wrap. I'm agreeing with Pseudonym with the distinguished teeth - they were quite bright and white. and well spoken. I think I would recognise her if I saw her - I'm waiting.

There was that lady at the bus stop that was older and a bit round who asked for some bus money. Haven't seen her for ages though.