Pilates anyone?

edited November 2008 in Local discussion
Does anyone know of a Pilates class in the area? Somewhere close to Stroud Green road/Finsbury Park that welcomes drop-ins and is affordable in the current climate (cold). I have an erratic schedule so any time of day is a possibility.

Yoga is also an option, but any chanting is like exorcism for me-- Pilates is probably safer.

Comments

• No idea about Pilates, but for yoga, check out Yoga Junction (www.yogajunction.co.uk). It's right next to the tube. I've been a few times, and there was no chanting.
  • LizLiz
    edited December 2008
    I second the Yoga junction recommendation. I've been to the beginners hatha classes on Sunday for a while, and the occasional Tuesday/Friday evening classes, and no chanting in evidence anywhere. Alternatively, Park Road pools does both yoga and pilates classes - I think the times are in here somewhere: [http://www.haringey.gov.uk/group_exercise_timetable](http://www.haringey.gov.uk/group_exercise_timetable_for_park_road_tottenham_green_and_white_hart_lane.pdf) Otherwise there is the Pilates Place on Crouch End hill but I think it's small group/one to one stuff so more expensive.
  • edited 2:01PM
    My other half goes to Pilates in a small group in (I think) Lancaster Rd. I think it's £10 a go - is that a lot? Can find out details if interested.
    just sail off the coast of somalia. you'll be up to your neck in them in no time.

…oh, wait, pilates?
    Some awesome suggestions.

How about Pirate Pilates. It could be a SG splinter group. With links to Deep Aqua Fitness.

Checked out the Harringey Council link and was rewarded 4 links later-- who knew a council could be that helpful?

Great stuff guys, what a team.
    "Piratelates" is almost certainly going to be a special release DVD this Christmas.

Stretch up - AAAARGH!
    Stretch down - AAAAARGH!
    Piratelates: *"Filmed LIVE on an oil tanker just off the Gulf of Hormuz, here's Geri Halliwell and Carol Vorderman, who are going to put the boys of al-Shabab through their paces"*
    The Pilates Place in Crouch End is great, but expensive - you do get one-on-one tuition and you get to use the funny machines and they're very nice. I got a bunch of classes as a birthday present a while back then couldn't afford to keep going! Worth doing once though, I thought. Alternatively, The Factory Gym on Hornsey Road has a pilates class on Sundays at 4pm and it is a drop in and I think about £9.
  • If you can be bothered to take the overground to Old Street (only takes 10 mins from Finny P) then this place is very good:

http://www.beautcamppilates.co.uk/

It's not traditional pilates but I think it's brilliant and there are usually between 3-6 people in a class. It's half price if you go early in the morning (ugh) or during the day on a weekday.
    I would definitely recommend Julie Forde pilates on Lancaster Road, great, small classes. She's on the web http://www.fordepilates.co.uk/index.html
    Check out www.kineticpilates.com. It is a new studio in STroud Green!!!!

One-to-One tuiton, Group classes.
    Yoga Junction has (sadly) moved to Crouch End! I imagined this was to target a higher income market but apparently it was to save rent. That and because their spot by the tube was slated to be torn down and redeveloped if/when the tube work goes ahead in the future. They are great though and really nice people. Worth the short bike ride to new location - near Weston Park/Ferme Park Road.
  • FinFin
    edited 2:01PM
    I went to Kinetic Pilates the other week and am signing up for a course in June. The introductory half price private session was excellent so looking forward to the course. I include an email from the instructor (Rebecca) with further details below:

Hello From Kinetic Pilates,

I have decided on an opening date. The studio will be open on the 15th June!!!!

I will be offering a mat class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00-7:00. The class will run as a introduction to Pilates and will run from 16th June.

The mat classes are part of my opening special which I am calling Pilates 101 it consists of 7 mat classes and 1 private session for £101 or 7 mat classes for £77, (however for just £25 more you can take advantage of the cheapest private session in town.)

The Mat classes can be taken once or twice a week depending on what you would prefer, however you must pre-book your space in the class when signing up.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers

Rebecca

Kinetic Pilates
    t: +44 (0) 7889146857
    e: info@kineticpilates.com
    w: www.kineticpilates.com
    As missfrancesca already mentioned Old Street station here's a brief mention of Bikram yoga from an addict. No chanting, just (very) hard work and floating back home afterwards.
    there should be a pilates class called "pontius pilates".

god i'm funny
    i laughed! also [www.moveyourframe.com](http://www.moveyourframe.com) if you're near old street
    you have to wash your hands at the end of every class and then feel bad for having gone to it.
    Hello from Kinetic Pilates,

I just wanted to officially introduce myself on this site. I have just opened up Kinetic Pilates Studio in Stroud Green.
    I wanted to invite everyone to the Grand Opening of the studio on Sunday 21 June from 3:00-5:00.
    4 Ossian Mews N4 4DT
    Please feel free to come by and check out the studio and have a celebratory drink with us.
    Please tell your friends and I look forward to maybe seeing you there.
    Cheers,
    Rebecca Convey
    www.kineticpilates.com
    I'd like to recommend Rebecca at Kinetic Pilates if anyone is still looking for a class or private lessons. It is really helping with my ongoing back injury and sciatica. It's very close by - 4 Ossian Mews (behind the Ferme Park Road Londis).
    Hello
    Kinetic PIlates is now offering more classes and times. There are more evening times for those who work, and availability in the mornings. Check out the website for more information. www.kineticpilates.com
    The Studio is very local a true Stroud Green business.
  • KazKaz
    edited 2:01PM
    Aquaterra (Sobell etc) does pilates, and I believe you don't have to be a member, should be cheap as well. www.aquaterra.org