Walking

Comments

• edited 7:01PM
    I do the Drayton Park route too, on way to Vauxhall (same route as Colette I think as far as Amwell Street then down Farringdon and over the river). I go down SGR to the 12 pins and go round the proper way to St Thomas's. I have considered Krappy's route for that bit but I think the hassle of bumping into people would be more trouble than it's worth (I don't follow that cycle lane even the right way, but just come through the bus station like all the other cyclists).
    Here's my route to the City, James: http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/london/990124031028292041
    It's the quickest way to get to the Tower Hill area that I've found.
    On the way home, it's marginally preferable to turn off Shoreditch High St on to Gt Eastern St, later turning on to Pitfield St and rejoining the morning route at Hyde St.

I used to take the TFL journey planner route, which is Colette's work route until Amwell St. Thereafter, you go past Exmouth Market, down to Smithfield Market, past St Paul's, down Cheapside to Bank and up Cornhill. The advantages of this are the lack of buses until you get to Aldersgate roundabout and the fact you avoid any hills on the way in and the inevitable gridlock on Bishopsgate; however, it adds about 5/10 mins to the journey and a soul-destroying number of traffic lights. Also, I quite like the wake-up jolt of the hill up to Highbury Barn.

Couple of tips re cycling in the City: 1) the City of London police seem more likely than others to issue penalty fines; 2) the traffic on the southern section of Bishopsgate (after my turn off on to Middlesex Street) and the northern section of Gracechurch St is the worst I've come across in London and mainly comprises trucks and buses. Best to avoid if possible.
    back to the "Walking" thread - I walk from Tollington Park to just beyond Liverpool Street most days (weather permitting) which generally takes 1hr and 15 mins. Mainly because i'm gym adverse and this is my token to exercise but it's also a really nice stress free way to start the day. (Mind you the first part Hornsey Road, down the back passed the Emerates etc is a bit dull) but from Highbury onwards just nice!
    Brilliant - thanks Dan. Jamber - you've pretty much described my journey to work - what route do you take?
    Jamber perhaps take a look at that alternative Drayton Park bit discussed above, that gets you off Hornsey and down some nice residential streets, still bringing you out just past the Emirates.
    Can we create a car share type of community here?

More like walking buddies, or is that just a bit wierd?

What would you talk about for an hour or so?
    James - well i go off down the back once past the Emirates (Benwell etc) then down Upper St to Islington Green, down past Camden Passage, Duncan terrace, past the Canal (lovely when the sun comes up reflecting off it), down Elia Street and onto City road to Old Street round the back of Finsbury Square.
    It's a thought - what time of the morning are other walkers about?!!
    Since it's such a lovely day I'm thinking of walking home tonight. Jamber is this the route you take: <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100071960261799213233.000468243c91a01d809a7&z=13>;
    That's pretty much it! There's always the bus option for the last part! It was a gorgeous walk this morning.
    Excellent map - thanks for that.
    To add to krappyrubsniff's running subject: Having recently moved here, along my old jogging rroute, in fact, I am looking for a recommendable new one.

My current/old route is/was this: SGR- Blackstock Road, right the one before Gillespie, left/right into Gillespie, Drayton Park, right into Holloway Rd, Archway Road, right at Shepherd's Hill/Highgate tube station, right towards Crouch End, left into Crouch Hill, SGR.

That takes me around an hour and I like the two hills on the way, including the rewarding downhill bit. The long stretch along Holloway/Archway Rd is obviously a drawback. I do however enjoy that the first bit is relatively easy-going, with only a slight upward slope at Drayton Park. that doesn't make it too hard to get out of the house in the mornings.

As I have been living here for a while I am looking for an adequate alternative, but don't know into which direction to explore. Go east towards Harrringay? North twards AlPal? Does the Parkland Walk get a bit boring with time, and is there a recommendable route back if I don't just want to turn and run back the same way?

Any recommendations appreciated (but please no laps around FP!)
    Marquis - This is my (almost) 6 mile morning run: http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=D2849113-FF56-4D5B-E65D2A4EFBD4A4C9&success=1

Pretty much off-road, but quite hilly. Plus a triumphant top-of-Ally-Pally-Rocky-style moment looking out over London thrown in.

To extend by another mile or so, you can even add a lap around Finno...
  • RegReg
    edited 7:01PM
    Awesome route Nick_M. Will check it out this weekend, but maybe at walking pace...
    That's making me tired just looking at it. I love the idea of building a run around an Ally-Pally-Rocky-Punch though
    Many thanks for this, Nick. Looks like a great route, with all the green along the way, just what I was hoping for. Will definitely give it a try this weekend. Do you run the same route in winter, when it's dark in the mornings?
    Sorry to have bored you, tosscat, thought this board was for discussions of this kind! Anyway, thanks for the link.
    I'm not bored, far from it.
    @Nick_m - yes, that's a great route. The climb up to Ally Pally must be quite gentle up the old PW (though the surface was daibolical for running last time I went up it).

Is anyone doing the Crouch End 10k?

It starts and finishes in Priory Park, May 17th. Last year I came in about 799 out of 800. Consistent, that's me.

Krappy
  • LizLiz
    @ Marquis - (I think) Tosscat's yawning is about the many of us who can't make markdown links, rather than your thread! Though it keeps him out of trouble.
    Sorry, bit slow on the response. Marquis - I don't do the run in the dark at winter. Unfortunately it has to wait for the weekends then. And Krappy - I shall be doing the Crouchy 10k.
    Unaesthetic and I are also doing the 10k. We signed up for it a month ago, then spent the next three weeks passing back and forth a nasty chest cold. At this point, I get out of breath walking up the stairs to our flat.

I think this is going to be one of those runs where I get passed by pensioners. That's a nice little ego crusher.
  • edited April 2009
    How did you sign up for the 10k? I can't find it on the web/is all busted. Are there forms at the library?

fankyou

[found it: http://www.ymcahornsey.org/pdfs/Entry_Form_2009.pdf]
    You can also sign up on the runner's world website. It's under events.
    Go to the YMCA in Crouch End and fill in a form right there. It's £12 entry fee. Or send the form back by post. You get the forms at the YMCA building in Tottenham Lane more or less opposite the pole dancing place, if you know where I mean - but the entrance is the little door round the corner in Elmfield Avenue.

You have to get it in by 6th May if you want them to post out your number and a timing chip. One thing you can't do this year is just turn up and pay/get a number on the day.

Timing chip??? I think this is new - isn't it?
    It's totally unnecessary. This isn't a serious race. And even if it was, most places still accept non-time-chip official results.

I looked into this last year when I thought about trying to qualify for the New York marathon. Then I got lazy and stopped running, so it clearly wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, the chips are good in large, long-distance races. This is basically a fun run.
    No such thing as a fun run. This is serious. Take no prisoners. Or pensioners for that matter.
  • AliAli
    Check this out

http://www.walkit.com/cities/?welcome
    Realised I never said thanks to Jamber for the walking route to the city. Thanks Jamber! Walked a few times now and really enjoy it. Do you actually walk along the canal or just walk past it?