Stroud Green Neighbourhood Day this Saturday?

edited April 2009 in Local discussion
From Richard Wilson's feed on the Politics page: __Stroud Green Neighbourhood Day__ _is this Saturday (24th) 2pm-4.30pm. It takes place in the area on top of the hill near the Library - Mount View Road, Granville Road, Stapleton Hall Road - and the streets in between._ It's organised by the Stroud Green Residents Association, who I've never come across before. They use Yahoo Groups rather than a blog like Stroudgreen.org

Comments

• edited 6:25PM
    Wow - they've not done a very good job publicising it - unless of course (now in Mount Pleasant Crescent) we're still out of the catchment .
  • edited April 2009
    Maybe so (I'm around the corner on the Villas) - Stroud Green Road probably isn't in Stroud Green either.
    What exactly happens at a neighbourhood day?
    There's only what Lib Dem Richard Wilson has on his website <http://www.richardwilson.me.uk>: _Get along to Stroud Green Neighbourhood Day April 23rd, 2009_ _Stroud Green Neighbourhood Day is this Saturday (24th) 2pm-4.30pm. It takes place in the area on top of the hill near the Library - Mount View Road, Granville Road, Stapleton Hall Road - and the streets in between._ _I was away for the last one, so I will be attending for the first time. But I’m told its quite fun and eclectic, with residents putting out stalls on the street and at the church hall with bits and peices to buy - and there are free refreshments. A tour of Granville Road Spinney is planned at 2.45pm (a great little green space that not many people realise exists)._ _The neighbourhood day is organised by the Stroud Green Residents Association (SGRA) and is all about bringing local people together. So please come along and help create some community spirit in Stroud Green!_
    I'm glad the tour is at 14.45, at least it should be wrapped up in time for bed.
    Well I'd need a good night's sleep, Tosscat, after touring the whole of Granville Road Spinney and travelling many tens of yards back home from the upper east side ...
  • edited April 2009
    Suppose I'm being negative here but having walked around the streets earlier and being quite bemused at the general focus of a Stroud Green day centred around that little section of streets rather than, you know, the centre of Stroud Green, I can safely say other than a slight community feel around the library due to cake and police the rest was a rather odd display of intermittent insipid middle class front lawn sales. It was like Dibley without the Vicar. I'm starting to think SGRA is a bit like Councillor David Francis Matthew Horton MBE's council meetings too, except less relevant to Stroud Green.
    The triangle?
    What does a front lawn sale look like (middle class or otherwise)? You mean like a car boot sale in your front garden? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing (apart from in Toy Story 2).
    Exactly like Toy Story, but less stuff and more twee. I shouldn't be negative, at least they're trying something, it just felt so far removed from what Stroud Green really is.
    I happened to walk down the top of SHR past the library, and yes was a bit surprised by the home-spun nature of it. Was pleasant enough saying hello to a couple friendly folk in their front gardens, but that was about it. I do that anyway.

Guess it's got to start somewhere, but given the size of what could be considered Stroud Green, it felt like a missed opportunity. A shame.
    In my opinion a 'better' neighbourhood day would be to:

1) Close a couple of the streets to traffic
    2) Have stalls for local crafts
    3) Have the police, local councillors and businesses there to hear what their community wants
    4) Something for the kids (clowns, games, music, cake)
    5) Something for the adults (clowns, games, music, drink)

They seem to have a lot of street parties on Victoria Terrace, I suppose it's ideal as it's a cul-de-sac and there's the large courtyard which backs onto Oxford Road too.

Whenever they have these parties and feel a little curious as I can hear the laughter and music from our kitchen, but I've neverhad the courage to wander over in case they throw me out for being an 'Oxford Roadie' and not part of the Victoria Terrace party crew.
    I always get invited. I've never been cos I'm always away. I think the main Vic Terrace party thrower has moved operations to party at the Sugar Lounge. I'm always away for those too.

Someone got run over and killed leaving the Vic Terrace street party two years ago.
    Neighbourhood Day - it's all about getting to know your neighbours, that's all! Everyone in the area is invited to do whatever they want to do in their front garden and meet their neighbours as they stroll around. There are no rules. It's fun, yes, f-u-n, fun, remember?

So please stop the whining and moaning and either 1. join us next year or 2. start your own neighbourhood day!

PS next year I'm planning to do karaoke, so do come along and have a go, if you're not too "bemused" by the whole thing. You'll find me in Mountview Road (I won't post the number here as I don't want the Stroud Green Anarchists Collective putting a brick through my window).
    Don't worry Mark, us Upper East Siders are under-represented on here.
  • edited April 2009
    Hello mark, welcome to the site. You'll find more than most of your neighbours on here. Whilst I'm sure everyone is welcome, not everyone was invited, because I think all people were saying is that they hadn't heard of it. I guess there's a pretty untapped demand for stuff like this.
  • edited April 2009
    Sorry I was bemused by it all, Mark. As I said above, at least you're trying something, I was just expecting something else.
  • edited April 2009
    You're mostly bemused by the fact that you were barred from joining the SGRA yahoo group. Any group that wants to be welcoming always asks for a full name, address and telephone number when signing up to a Yahoo Group.
    Reading the minutes of Stroud Green Residents Association (possibly only marginally less boring than the Chelsea-Barcelona stalemate) I was **staggered** and **disgusted** to find that the Stroud Green Neighbourhood Day had PUBLIC FUNDING of £500! When will this council gravy train for fatcats ever end? My council tax/back in my day/political correctness gone mad etc etc. We could keep this site going for two or three years for that money.
    No wonder there was no money left for RISE.
    Ok, now I'm appalled as well.

No offense to the people living on Mount View Road, but I never even considered that area to be part of Stroud Green. Surely that's Crouch Hill.

We live on Woodstock Road, which is actually off Stroud Green, yet as far as I know, this little community gathering wasn't publicised in our area. Was it even publicised on the actual Stroud Green Road?

Obviously the organisers weren't interested in meeting the people living at the other end of SG.
    Oh, and Andy, you should totally seek public funding for this site. It adds a lot of value (I hate that phrase) to SG.
    Hard to tell what element of the indignation here is ironic, and what real. I can't believe we're really getting proprietorial about the name Stroud Green are we? People who live on those roads can't help the fact that it's known as Stroud Green (it's the name of the Council ward too I think).

And as for public funding, I believe there's a street party being organised for Perth Rd some time soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's Council funds in there somewhere. I daresay if SG.org ever organised a real-life event the Council might well offer support.
    and so the gauntlet is thrown down.
    I love RC's 'degrees of SGness' argument. She's always indignant Shaun and it's always genuine - it's because she stays up too late drinking rubbish coffee. Are not the borders SG road/Crouch Hill, Mount View Road and the tracks? Hence the triangle?
    I wouldn't start a beef with us Upper East-siders. The council bankroll our weapons cache too.
    @ tosscat - that made me laugh. I'm sure r_c would be a lot calmer if she could get a decent flat white, Noo Yawk style. And with Haringey Social Services in disarray and needing serious investment, general economic collapse and global pandemics to prepare for, I'm not sure that I could in good conscience take any money from the Council. Especially not for putting a trestle table in my front garden, let alone a stupid website like this.
  • RegReg
    edited 6:25PM
    I'm assuming this was Haringey money? If so, I should have gone. As a LB Islington resident (that identifies more with the SG ward than my Tollington ward), I would have been quids in... @Andy/Dave, have you approached the likes of [FinFuture](http://www.finfuture.co.uk) to see if there might be support in their coffers?
  • edited April 2009
    Sorry if this came up in another thread but I've been wondering: what is the proper pronunciation of Stroud?

Is it Str-ooo-d as in ‘oooh la la … I love living here’

Or

Str-ow-d as in ‘OOOH! I was just stabbed'
  • RegReg
    edited 6:25PM
    Us norf landoners would av it as neither. Straad Green. Mate.