n4 curious

Hello.

Thinking of moving to the area from way down south (Holloway.) What's Lancaster road like? Nice? Top be avoided?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• edited 1:39AM
    Don't know about Lancaster Road, but the Lemon Tree on Green Lanes offers a "Breakfast of Champions"
    lancaster road is nice, quiet, parkland walk and londis at the top, not far from the SGR "action" such as it is. less than 10 minutes walk to the tube. i'd say go for it.
    so it goes
    I walk down Lancaster Road from time to time, it seems very nice to me. Didn't someone mention something about Michael Palin's son living on Lancaster Road?
    trying to work out what it means when Michael Palin's son lives in a street. Regular loud laughter? B.o.? Dad coming for visits, performing sketches? Drug abuse? Will I be able to sleep tonight?
    It just makes it lovely.
    And Beverley Knight supposedly.

Yes, nice enough street, has a wee bit of traffic but isn't a main road. I haven't looked at flats there, they do look nice, v traditional 'cept for a couple of small council blocks. If they back onto the parkland walk you might have a nice outlook. Super easy to get to Tube, buses to Crouch End, Londis as mentioned, newsagents, SGR pubs etc, and the stupendous Parkland Walk.

(I looked at one that backed on to it from Florence Road last year, on the ground floor, and it had bars on the windows! Lady from the agency (begins with D something, on SGR, honestly can't remember) said it was for security? Pfft, dunno how true that is. )
    @optimo 75 - Dinglis - a slowly gentrifying grotty landlord
    We live there, and like it a lot - the road's pretty quiet and the other people we've met are nice. On the Parkland Walk side some people with big conservatories on the ground floor have had problems with stone throwing kids, but that's all I've heard of problems from there. We have a spiky hedge so haven't worried about it.
  • AliAli
    edited 1:39AM
    Michael Palins son is a curator at the Soane Museum which is not on Lancaster Road but is worth a visit. Guess he must get the Piccadilly Line to work.
    I think Florence Road on the other side of the Parkland Walk has the edge as there is less traffic but I would say that as I call FloRo home...

Either way, Parkland Walk is great. You can get all the way down to Finsbury Park station avoiding roads. The Londis mentioned is an excellent local shop.

I think I used to rent the flat optimo75 mentioned. It had bars on the windows but I thought they were overkill. Eventually bought a ground floor flat - no bars - I've been burgled twice in 6 years but both times from the front of the property so bars at the back would have made no difference.

Don't let burglaries put you off by the way. Think I was really just unlucky and it hasn't put me off staying here.
    Cheers - much appreciated.
  • IanIan
    edited 1:39AM
    I lived on Lancaster Road in my first incarnation this side of the Park. Very good place to live - and we are constantly looking to see whether houses come onto the market there in the vain hope we can afford them. Nice wide road and close to the park, quiet even though it can be a bit of a car cut through and in my time there a prototype vigilante group style neighbourhood watch scheme.

However, my flat there split in half. Woke up to a rain storm in my bed. Avoid that flat. @Optimo75 @dion - it was rented to me by Dinglis. (To be fair they cut my rent whilst they underpinned it. It's probably alright now.)