VENEZIA

edited June 2009 in Local discussion
THE BEST PIZZA PLACE IN MY BOOK

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 7:28PM
    What other pizza places do you have in your book?
  • AliAli
    You will always get a table
  • edited 7:28PM
    That's a bit spammy...

I don't know how Venezia stays in business. I've never seen more than one table in there. They must do a whole lot of home deliveries to keep paying the rent.

Maybe they have a brothel in of the back room.

We had their pizza once. Too much oil, not enough flavour. By far the worst of the three SGR pizzerias.
    THE BEST PIZZA PLACE ON THE HARINGEY SIDE OF STROUD GREEN ROAD IN MY BIG CAPITALISED BOOK
    Venezia once ruined a Friday night for me when I walked past it on the way FP station, with double-size Petek filled to the last seat and Venezia completely empty. The guy who seems to be running the place was standing outside and his facial expression can only be described as 'suicidal'. Had Pizza there once, was ok, but not particularly competitive on the pricing front. Also, with the exposed baking area it's not particularly impressive when you see the chef reading recipes from the pin board.
  • edited June 2009
    When you've got two popular competitors you have to be good and get it really right to succeed. A good example here would be the Noble, to the extent it's become my preferred of the Larrik/Dairy/Noble triangle (I still go to the others, mind.) The Noble established itself by smartly thinking through what its offering. Venezia hasn't done anything like this to get itself into the Pappa/Porchetta ring.
  • edited June 2009
    I often wonder what kind of businessperson would invest in a restaurant, next to cosy Petek, with 2 good pizza places close by, and make absolutely no effort whatsoever to make the place inviting. It was/is far too bright and boring inside, never mind what the food's like. I'd likely give it a shot if it looked comfortable.

I've been out for pizza with friends, found both Porchetta and Pappogone full with a wait of about an hour, and have preferred to go to the pub and wait than even considering Venezia.

Consistently surprised it's not shut down each time I walk past.

Whoever is bankrolling it must have deep pockets, or there's something fishy happening somewhere.
    I've only tried a Venezia pizza once ... easily the worst pizza I've eaten in some time ... I think I wrote about it in the Pizza delivery thread.

On an aside (topic change alert) I noticed Porchetta has bricked up the room at the back .. I wondered why they would want to reduce capacity when they are regularly full at weekends?
    Simon - surely the other side of those bricks is now the sugar lounge?
  • AliAli
    Cost reduction exercise when they nearly went under last year when the owner ran off with the cash and hadn't paid the bills !
    Slats ... good point well made ;)
    parently venezia changed the managment team and they do now wood oven pizza by the meter,so far the best pizza had in the area
    fireza,mad in italy,italian job ,lolo bianco
    <i>Management team?</i>
    If only we had a Pizza Hut

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Medi, do you work there, or own it? These plugs could be done much better you know. Check out Ariela and her 'blug' on the woes of Pappaggone (still waiting for those home truths by the way), or the unapologetic Chaps and Dames thread from Kelly-Marie. [Don't push it though.](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/776/haunted-house-tv-programmes-earn-20-talking-about-them/#Item_26)
    I wonder whether that Sausage Roll song is available for download. Does anyones know the band, did they ever tour?
    Venezia is very local to me and I have no wish to do it down, but I'd struggle to recommend it in the face of the nearby alternatives. I'm pretty sure my experience post-dates whatever this management change was.
    If the pizzas at VENEZIA are as ham-fisted as @medi's attempts to promote the place, they will not be particularly palatable.
  • AliAli
    Thought selling by the metre was their original USP ?
    OKI GUYS LETS TELL YOU SOMTHING ABOUT VENEZIA,
    THIS PLACE HAS JUST 7 MONTHS OLD MEANS REALLY NEW,I THINK AS A LOCAL WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM ,ALSO IM SURE THAT THEY DO THE BEST PIZZA IN AREA ,TO PROVE THAT JUST CHCK THE WEB SITE CALL WWW.QYPE.COM
    My theory: Medi is commissioned by the Islington side to ruin Venezia's reputation.
    I will never trust anything written on Qype again. (Not that I ever did much in the first place.)
    If only they put this much effort into making their pizzas edible...
    Even if they do actually do the best pizza in London, shouty capitals man has put me right off.
    I may try Venezia again, but in terms of support you are usually only going to get one chance from most people. Certainly I can't be fagged to waste time and money on a repeat of a sub-mediocre experience when I could have a guaranteed very enjoyable experience at Dotori, Petek, Jai Krishna. The only reason I will try again is that I think SG is now rather a barren wasteland on the pizza front - I have given up on Pizza P and La Porc.
  • AliAli
    It should be obvious to Venezia from the comments on here that they are not providing a product that people want either on the pizza side or ambiance of the restaurant.
    The main point pushed is Wood Fired Pizza by the Mitre – so what !!
    What I would want is something where the food is good, nice place to take people etc, reasonably kid friendly et c which it is not at the moment.
    It took a long time for both La Por and Pagga to get going. La Porc opened in the middle of a recession and it only was only about half the size of the current revamped config but it at the time it did to Pizzas what I Phone has done to mobiles ie wow this is good.
    Pagga was originally a spin of from La Porc that got fire bombed twice, became the Cod Father, possibly a Greek (but that might have been where Miso is) before it open and became what it is today.
    They should get some back editions of Hells Kitchen (UK One) and get some ideas of how to re- launch themselves, sort the food , sort the ambiance the start driving business by handing out samples etc outside Tesco’s etc giving deals etc. Once the word is around it is good it will fill up.
    It is simple really stop sitting there thinking you have it right, go out do some market research see what people want, develop and then tell people about and away you go !
    They could also a branch of our favourite ice cream shop as well for people walking up that side of the road !
    i still looking for more comment about venezia, bcs i think most of stroud green org ,they got not really good review about the place and those review help to improve ,i have just one question,how many of you tried venezia experience eat in,takeaway.delivery in last few months,and if you had how was it? if didnt i will recomend to try it ,this place has nice reviews from the people which they tried the food and no one force them to wrote some about them,all are excellent,which means they do good service,again if you check their product,all are original and the best(if you are in the italian food)
    im sure they diserve much more better and they will make the place become one of the best pizza place in london.
    we need to support our local busineses to improve stroud green become the same as one of the famus road in the london,we will and we can.
    Got some of your flyers through the door today.
    i've tried venezia's takeaway pizza. very very oily and not particularly flavourful. plus the place is totally depressing inside. i don't want to eat in an empty room with the cook and the delivery guy sitting in the doorway looking miserable.

for reference, i also really disliked pappagone's (tasted like a soggy supermarket pizza with tinned toppings) and i wont eat in, chiefly because they always have big-screen football on. porchetta is ok, but the quality of the pizza has gone down over the years. firezza is my favourite pizza locally, the base is lovely, slightly sour and the right amount of chewy, and the toppings are quality. their prices are a bit steep though.