The Larrik

Comments

• edited 6:16AM
    Noble & Dairy are both in fine shape no? As are White Lion, Fullback and World's End - clearly they all cater for different types but all have plenty of custom going on. I'm more curious if anyone has any ideas what would turn the Larrik around? Even with a blank canvas I'm at a loss, probably due to the above venues covering most pub types between them.
    the back room would be great for live music but they'll never get the license.

they're a bit far from the tube station to go full-blown-football-pub.

the upmarket good food comfy seat market is already covered by the dairy and noble.

the three-generations-at-a-table-drinking-carling-at-11am market is cornered by the white lion.

do chapter one still do the last turkey in the shop saturday night disco? that could work.
  • RegReg
    edited 6:16AM
    I realise that being across Hornsey Road The Landseer might not be in the immediate catchment for the assembled masses here (which is why I have not made it a thread) BUT we walked passed it on the way to the Cinema last week and it looks like a good pub. Any comments before I go and investigate? beerintheevening seems to be positive.
    re: Landseer - food is not bad at all & pretty good value. Beer is pretty well kept. Great if you have kids as there's a little park immediately opposite (sunny Sundays are particularly popular for parental piss-ups).

All in all, quite easy to while away an afternoon in there, just not so noticably better than more local competition that makes it stand out as a 'destination'.
  • edited July 2009
    The Landseer used to be my local before we moved into our current home. It's a great pub and, of course, has the added advantage of having great outdoor space; both the benches and the neighbouring Peter Pan Gardens. The food is good but not quite as good as it has been previously.

We occasionally still venture over there if we're meeting friends for lunch as it's by far the best place in the area to go to if there are kids in tow.

Saying all that there is a better pub if you're heading to The Odeon on Holloway Road. The Swimmer at the junction of Eburne and Hercules Roads is possibly my favourite pub in the whole of town. We often go for a pint or two in there prior to going to the cinema. It's close enough to nip over the road to buy tickets and then head back before ambling over to the cinema just in time for curtain-up.
  • RegReg
    edited 6:16AM
    I'll def check out the Landseer but that is high praise indeed for The Swimmer so will be sure to put my head in there too.
    I like the Landseer and the Swimmer, both worth a visit. I've also grown fond of the Star on Chester Road which is a bit like the Noble, but in Dartmouth Park. But the Noble is the best. As for the Larrik, apparently they are scuppered by noise regs, so anything they might do (live music, big sport) will breach the terms of their licence.
    I have never eaten in The Landseer, but often go for a few pints after the cinema. It's a great atmosphere in there and more often than not they bring you inside after 11.30 for a lock in which is nice on a Friday or Saturday.
    Is it strictly a lock-in? Or is it just a case that their late licence stipulates no outside drinking?
    So Larrik on its knees and regulation stopping it doing anything about it. Karmenz seemingly doing what the fuck it likes.
    @ Poxy. They are licensed til 12 yet they do get you inside before - at 11 if I recall. Gone 12 they draw the curtains and I've been there until about 1.30am before. The guys who run the place are cool and get round the other side of the bar themselves given half a chance.
    The Landseer is a lot better than a few years back, but as a cider drinker I can't afford to go there too often - no pints, so my only option is bottles of Aspall. And while I like Aspall, I'm reluctant to pay over four quid for each drink.
    And the Larrik has turned the TV screens dark now = no sport. An omen.
    Odd, what with the Ashes kicking off again today - surely a few enthusiasts taking the day off work without Sky wouldn't mind a jar and newspaper to the sound of leather on wood?
    i wonder what the going rate is for pubs to show sky sports? it must be a pretty fearsome sum.
    It is indeed, I know a few pubs have dropped it lately on cost grounds. Which is a boon to me, because I bloody hate sports TV disrupting otherwise decent drinking dens.
    @ADGS second that
    also hate sport in pubs
    I like sport in pubs when I'm wanting to watch a game. When I don't want to watch a game I go to the many pubs in the area that don't show sports. It's not like there's a short supply of them. Noble, Dairy, Swimmer, Shafetsbury, erm, Nicholas Nickleby. What I really find intolerable is sport in restaurants.
    It's OK when you're in your local area and know these things, but drinking in town can be a minefield, especially now you can't even trust Wetherspoons to stick to the old 'no music, no sport' policy.
    (And the Dairy was certainly still showing sports the last time I made the mistake of crossing its threshold)
    david - pappagone?
    Yes, but oddly in quite a few Italians in Soho too. But I suppose you still have the choice to not go in. I really don't think it's hard to find a pub without sport on in town.
    As I'm sure you are aware TV is always on in just about every restaurant in Italy as well as bars.

Cultural norm. Background noise.
    the only place i've ever felt un-threatened by having a football match on in a pub/bar was in germany, where at my local the landlord would only play local games and would bring everybody schnapps if his team won. completely different vibe to football in english pubs, where it usually feels like the only thing you'll get for free is a pint glass in your teeth.
    Does anyone know where they show Arsenal games during the football season on foreign tv to get around the broadcasting laws?

I need to know.
    pappagone, 12 pins sometimes, the internet.
    David: I know it's not hard to find a pub without sport if you're there and wandering about, but if you're planning in advance to meet people that/next evening, it can be a bit of a test remembering which pubs have TVs - since even those which don't regularly show sport sometimes spring it on you during Olympics, World Cups and similar especially large-scale annoyances.
    ADGS: Call them and ask? This one just seems really solvable to me. N4_Bandit: Bit nasty but The Holloway does. Or The Boston in Tufnell Pk. A few down Blackstock used to but not so sure now with the stadium move.
    @Unasthetic,

A couple of times I went to watch Old Firm games in a pub in Rotherhithe - both Rangers and Celtic fans present. Bizarre atmosphere of bear-baiting all through the match - but at half time the landlord would bring out pies for all present, which was a laugh. Then return to the aggro when the whistle blew.