Pandora

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
Here is another radio station that is good online. You type the group or song you like and it will generate music like what you typed in....

Pandora:.....http://www.pandora.com/#/account/sign-in/

I hope that is the right address

Comments

• edited 7:37AM
    it has bugger all non-mainstream music. spotify is also useless.
    What is bugger? And What do u mean by spotify is useless? I don't know those words. They are not very common here.
    For a while I thought it was the utah state police working an elaborate sting operation, but now I just think it's tosscat
    My objection to Spotify is just that half the time it freezes on me - last time it was working, I was using it to listen to the 21 minute version of Julian Cope's 'Poet is Priest', about which one can make many complaints but 'mainstream' is not one of them.
  • edited August 2009
    'bugger' is a corruption of the now out-of-use word 'bougar' which means 'belgian'. it means anal sex, which was initially meant as a slur on the belgian nation. 'bugger all' is the same as 'fuck all'.

and you don't know what 'useless' means? do you understand WTF?

-

adgs - ok it may have some odd stuff but the two or three times i've tried it, i've typed in the name of whatever band i was curious about hearing at the time and it had nothing. same with pandora, but i haven't looked at that one in years and years. last.fm all the way...
    spotify is still fairly new and not everyone will have it covered by their online distribution/licensing. that'll change i'm sure.
    Spotify also uses your connection to effectively do p2p traffic - so watch if you leave it on and are on a limited broadband package.
    Spotify have secured the funding for a US launch so watch this space Debbie you crazy loon!
    is spoitfy legal and above board? i'm not totally bothered, but i know from experience that last.fm is totally legit and even pays royalties for radio plays, which is cool, particularly if independent artists can use this to bypass record companies and get payment direct (although you need to clock up hella plays to see any real return)
    Yes it is UE. Lots of interest at the moment due to impending US launch and iphone app pending.
    I think pandora is restricted in the UK.. but was one of the first internet radios aimed to discover new music.. they also run the genome project to classify music in an universal way.. ambitious.. by the way they host my music! (http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/mariano+godoy) but I don't think you can listen to it here!
    I thought 'bugger' originally went back to Bulgar, being a slur against Bulgarians rather than Belgians? All to do with how the Cathar heretics were considerably less homophobic than the Church, viewing all sex as equally sinful and therefore equally to be repented of, but only immediately before death.

Last.fm is pretty good for checking stuff out, but I know they can be right legalistic dicks sometimes. ie a mate of mine (and a local, as it happens) put up some music he'd made in his bedroom, and in the wiki, put up the lyrics. His lyrics for music which had never been signed by anyone. And they got taken down and he got a form letter about lyrics, copyright &c, all stuff he already knew and of which he was not in breach.
  • edited August 2009
    pretty sure it was belgians, but i've been known to be wrong in the past...

anyone tried soundcloud for new music? a friend was showing me some of his dj mixes on there, seems quite interesting...
    Soundcloud seems to be the favourite of people who upload their own music, at least among my facebook contacts. I think that's where it differs from other sites that just want to be radio stations.
    I'm really enjoying SoundCloud, though lots of comments remind me of my age. If anyone cares to enlighten me as to what _"Siiiick. Damn that drop is DUTTY."_ actually means, I'd appreciate it.
    Well...You guys are extremely friendly........Ok I think I know what bugger means...thanks very mush...and I know what useless means too even tho that wasnt the word i said that I didnt understand. I said I didnt understand the the word spotify....as it was put in that sentence...and yes I know what WTF means...do u understand lmao? I lokked up bugger on Wikipedia and it says this:

As a verb, the word is (potentially accidentally) used by the British to denote sodomy. In the UK, the phrase Bugger me sideways (or a variation thereupon) can be used as an expression of surprise. It can be used as a synonym for 'broken', as in "Damn, this PC's buggered," "Oh no! I've buggered it up," or "It's gone to buggery."

The phrase bugger off (bug off in American English) means to go, or run, away; when used as a command it means "go away" ["get lost" or "leave me alone"] and can be seen to be used in much the same type of relatively softly 'offensive' manner.

"I'm buggered" or "I'll be buggered" is used as a colloquial phrase in the UK (and often in New Zealand and Australia as well) to denote or fein surprise at an unexpected (or possibly unwanted) occurrence. "I'm buggered" can also be used to indicate a state of fatigue. In this latter form it found fame in New Zealand in 1956 through rugby player Peter Jones, who - in a live post-match radio interview - declared himself "absolutely buggered", a turn of phrase considered shocking at the time[4][5].

Etymologically, a "Bugger" was a "Bulgre" (French Bougre). Originally, it was derived from the French word "Bougge­rie" ("of Bulgaria"), meaning the medieval Bulgarian clerical sect of the Bogomils, which facing severe persecution in Bulgaria spread into Western Europe and was branded by the established church as particularly devoted to the practice of sodomy.

Anyway...very interesting.....You guys are truly interesting. I am learning alot
    I've not looked at the poll thread yet, but can I vote to ban someone? Or at least force them to punctuate correctly.
  • edited August 2009
    @ tosscat Ha! Suddenly grammar and punctuation are important 2 u...? When did that start...? lol
    When did I get this reputation for slovenly language?