Local Night Clubs

Has anyone been to Mousetrap (the Mod night at Orleans, just the other side of the station) or the Boogaloo or Hideaway in Archway? Or are there any other good night clubs near by?

Comments

• no, are you?
  • edited 9:08PM
    I've heard Mousetrap is good, but a bit cliquey as mod nights tend to be. Other nights at Orleans should generally be avoided.
    The Boogaloo is more a venue these days, doesn't work so well for clubs. Again, I find it's got a bit up itself but you can still find some good events there if you look.
    The Hideaway I don't know.
    My other thoughts on local clubs are in the thread about entertaining teenagers which I believe is still near the top of the board.
    The Boogaloo is good fun. Have only been on Saturday nights, which is probably not representative, but I never regretted it. With the DJ playing only vinyl singles, the music selection was a bit limited, but then there's not really anything wrong about that. It's also supposed to be quite good to hang out at in the afternoons. They have a facebook group which updates you on their events, but they send too many invites for my taste.
  • I've been to the Boogaloo on a Sat night and was a lot of fun with decent music, but they have different promoters doing the nights so have a look beforehand to see what is on.
    A decent bet for a good night is The Old Queens Head on Essex Road - before 10 you don't have to pay and has decent bands and DJ's there Fri, Sat and Sun. you can easily catch the 341 from Manor House which drops you outside.
  • Great, thank you! Will definitely try the Boogaloo. Seen a few Motown and Indie nights there that look good. Also need to try a few more bars locally, WKD and the new cocktail bar k2 (?) opposite Woody's. Haven't got particuarly high hopes for either but worth a try.
    The Hideaway is great (not really all that local though).
  • It would be so good if there was a night club on stroud green road (a good one). You could go there until 2/3am then go to one of the cheap takeaways, then stagger home. All without the threat of physical violence that you get on the N29.
    Karmenz, I mean K2?
    A proper club/venue is the one thing Finsbury Park is really missing, I kept hoping they'd finally resurrect the tumbledown place opposite the UCKG (or even better, kick the loopy christians out and revert that to being the Rainbow too), but that new development plan confirms this ain't going to happen.
    What's the Dome doing over in Tufnell these days? Lost many a night with Jah Shaka there.
    There was briefly another decent venue en route to that, possibly called the Tufnel Park Tavern, but that soon collapsed into 'Tufnell's Nitespot' or something similarly horrific, which was a real shame.
    the red rose down seven sisters used to have a monthly noise/industrial/power electronics night that i would frequent. now it's 'club imperial' and looks even more stabby than it ever used to...
  • AliAli
    edited 9:08PM
    Are there not some Discos up at Muswell Hill ?
    The Muswell Hill clubs are the sort of place that proudly proclaims footballers and models come there.
    Are you all nuts!! Perhaps we could have a night club over or under your places, they're really not very noisy!! it also seems easy to get round the councils licensing laws so long as you put the rubbish out in approved bags - or someone else's garden.

The N19 is a better bus the N29
  • edited August 2009
    Most of the London clubs footballers & following wags go to Faces in Gants Hill too. Anyone ever been there? I used to go when I was growing up and it was more inclined to let baggie jeans in and play Happy Mondays. I just can't get my head around Jordan and a bunch of sporting bling flashing notes around for Cristal in a room full of kitch mirrors not that much bigger than the Noble. But yes, quite happy for no clubs actually on Stroud Green. More than content for them to be a bus ride away.
    queenofstroudgreen if you're tempted by Mousetrap I bet you'd really like Nitty Gritty (2nd sunday each month)
    http://myspace.com/thenittygrittyclub or The Fabulous Cellar (1st Saturday every other month, next one Oct) both at The Constitution pub in Camden on St Pancras Way.

Not local to SG, but not a very long stagger away & both are excellent clubs with friendly people, fantastic music, decent beer & lots of places like outside in the garden or by the canal to wander about to if it's too loud or hot in the downstairs bit.
  • Thank you. I will definitely look it up. I find it really easy to end up going back to the same clubs because i know they are good, but really want to try new places. I have also heard that 'How does it feel to be loved' is a good Motown night, soul, sixties night. I've made myself want to go out tonight now!
    How Does It Feel mixes that stuff with fey indie - Smiths, C86, Sarah Records, Belle & Sebastian &c. It's a really good night, but don't go expecting just soul and sixties or you'll get quite a shock!
    If I'd gone for Motown and got <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/743/6-whole-people/"><em>TFTM<sup>TM</sup></em></a> I'd be furious.
    Since reading the Morrissey discussion some time ago I've taken to using the term "fop twat" quite regularly - they just go together well. David will be delighted to know if you look up those two words on google, sg.org pops up on top.
    Thanks for point that out Shaun, you've made my day.
    <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=fop+twat" target="qwerty">Hahahahahahahahahaha!</a>
    This is a great little (almost local) secret ....

http://hackneypost.co.uk/?p=2274