Is Stroud Green a community of commuters?

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
Just wondering how many of us actually work in Stroud Green as well as living here. I'm guessing most people commute into central London - I do, for example. So is Stroud Green a community of commuters? Or do lots of people work here as well as living here?

Comments

• edited 4:08AM
    i walk to work. yay.
    rainbow_carnage and i work from home. i also work in town, but only part-time.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:08AM
    I was reading an article about self serve at the weekend. Apparently for each self serve till like the ones in Tesco’s 2.5 jobs are lost. So I guess in out Tesco’s that is about 10 local jobs that have gone !
    I commute and always wonder what SG is like during the day. I was surprised on one sick day when I went to the post office by how long (and some quite precarious-looking) the benefits queue was. Are these people all locals, and if so where are they in the evenings? That said, I jsut realised I have never ventured inside the White Lion.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:08AM
    The back of the pub is okay for a quiet pint on the cheap, got free Wi Fi as well
  • Check out Finsbury Park at 3pm on a warm, sunny weekday. You'll struggle to find an empty patch of grass. Either these people work nights or not at all.

The tennis courts are always busy, too.

Not that I'm criticising. It's 2pm and I'm watching an old episode of House. But I'll be writing at 10pm tonight while the 9-5ers are in the pub.
    I have been 'between situations' of late and can confirm that the area never really seems any emptier, though the queues in Tesco are definitely shorter mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
    And I suppose that while the nearside of the park is always fairly full, the big slope on the Green Lanes side can often be fairly empty in the day, at least until schools chuck out.
  • edited August 2009
    I commute a short distance to Dalston, but only because I need that work/home separation. Didn't we have a poll about this a while back?
    My current commute is about an hour; bus, tube, train, walk. From next week it'll be a ten minute walk.
    I vary between running my 'empire' from home and having to be in town for meetings. Its a happy medium.
    I work near the park and spend a couple of days a week in town.
    I commute to Essex on the Stansted Express. My partner works from home, and maintains that there's always an enormous queue in the post office no matter what time of day.
    True about the post office but Tesco is vastly more bearable during the day on weekdays. I mainly work from home and am always surprised by the bustle when I occasionally venture out during normal working hours.