Vegan Eateries

edited October 2009 in Local discussion
So... Does anyone know any good places to get vegan grub in or around SG?
I ask not for myself (I love a good fry-up) but for the young lady.
Ta in advance :)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Jai Krishna Petek
  • edited 11:14AM
    Petek I know. Never been to Jai Krishna - will give it a go.

Thanks.
    You lived here for 5 years and you've never been to Jai Krishna?
    Dotori should do lots of vegan stuff too. (I don't want to start the old Dotori thread again mind.)
    Just to get on tosscat's nerves...

I'd avoid Dotori if I were vegan. We're veggie, and they couldn't cater for that. Not unless you count chicken as a vegetarian dish. We gave them a second chance, too, but it was just as bad.

Jai Krishna is very vegan/veggie friendly. It's a little out of the way, but I'd also recommend Rasa in Stokey. Cheap, delicious, excellent service. I'd happily live there, were it not pink.

Also, Hana is very good. I asked for a veggie version of a dish, and they checked if I wanted it vegan (no eggs).
    Thanks Rainbow. Where's Hana?
    It's on Seven Sisters Road. They deliver.

www.hanasushi.net
    There's also a great chippie on Upper Tollington Park, if it doesn't need to be the healthy option, and another Indian restaurant a bit further down the road, beginning with Dh. I am sure you can google it. Also, there's Mezbaan and Spice Zone on SGR. They would be good bets for vegan meals.
    You are there rc, hooray!
    Mezbaan has esecially good daal, and aubergine and potato curry - you'd have to check with them which have ghee in them

Dotori were fine with me when I wanted something veggie - they told me which things they could make veggie, and I had a tofu and chilli stew

Also, try Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian restaurant on Seven Sisters Road - quite likely that the lentil dishes and spinach dishes in their veggie special would be vegan, and they are delicious, though you might have to ask about the chickpea dish as it tastes buttery. Also they have a wonderful and very hot salad with chillies in it
    Went to Jai Krishna's for the first time yesterday. A lot of food for hardly anything, and superb quality too. I love that they get you to write down your order rather than struggle with the language barrier, it avoids all the awkwardness of ordering. It being BYO with Jack's over the road is a boon.
  • language barrier?
    By which I mean my guilt at always crassly mispronouncing things on the menu.