Buying a Scooter

edited October 2009 in General chat
My wife is looking at getting a scooter to commute to work in Canary Wharf. She's done her CBT and is now looking to buy a used 125cc.

Any recommendations on where to start looking?

Comments

• edited 8:32AM
    There's a scooter shop in Crouch End, opposite the police station. I've no idea as to the services offered.
    Two more branches of that in Dalston. I bought my two scooters using the classifieds. If you're happy to trust the seller, it's the way to go. Also, depends how old she wants to go (mine are "classics")
  • You are doing the right thing going for a 125cc as gives you the extra power when pulling away at lights and allows you to hold the middle of the road withour annoying the other traffic as you can keep a decent pace.

I bought my scooter from the classifieds - allows you to barter them down and if it has all the docs and history you can get a much better deal than in a shop. I also sold it 2 years later making £50 on it.

Also very important to get all the gear, you look a nob in hi viz, but the weather here demands it, also get a decent hard wearing coat, waterproof trousers, shades and gloves.
    Thanks for the tips. We've found a couple on Gumtree and are going to investigate ( a Honda Dylan and a Vespa ET4 )
    Best of luck Let us know how you get on
    Vespa ET4 & the Dylan are good choices as they're 4 strokes and are much more durable & reliable than 2 strokes (the 2 stroke scooters are usually thrashed around by 17 year olds).

I'd suggest getting a <a href="http://www.caberglids.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=330">Caberg Trip helmet</a>, as they are decent quality, and good value. They also have a 'flip front' design which means you don't have to take the helmet off when you're popping into the shops - oh and they have a built in pair of shades that you can just flip down too!

And for safety get a white helmet as they're more visible to drivers - seems obvious really.

<a href="http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/1/">Hein Gericke</a> shops & gear are also great value and they have shops in most parts of London, I think the Harrow branch is the closest to N4 (well a 25 minute car ride).

Ride safe.
    There's a Hein Gericke opposite H&I tube station. Much closer than Harrow.
    She's bought a 2007 Dylan and will pick it up on Monday. Thanks for the tips on helmets, we've got to pick up the rest of the gear up Saturday.

Once again SG.org comes up trumps.
    @poxy - Oh I thought that was Sondel (independent bike shop) opposite Highbury and Islington tube...

they must have just bought it - cheers for the tip.
    Actually, it is Sondel. I've driven past a HG in the last couple of days not quite sure where. My head's a shed.
    I really need to get back on my scooter. Miss it loads
    Scooter, helmet and gloves all purchased and she's commuting now on the bike.

Thanks for all your help.
    Great stuff, safe riding