Old Dairy parent and baby sessions

I was walking past the Old Dairy yesterday and sptted that they are now running parent and baby sesions.

It's quite a departure for a pub to be offering itself as a childcare venue and wondered if anyone had tried this out?

I'd like to think my 18 month year was quite grown up, but is an afternoon in the boozer going a bit too far?

Comments

• When is it?

I will avoid, pubs with children in are horrible... I used to live in Stoke Newington, and sometimes no matter where you went you'd be jumping over 3 wheeled prams to get to the bar..

I hate parents and babies...
  • edited 1:32PM
    @tosscat

?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    I've been ( with a 12 month old ) and it's quite pleasant. For crawlers there's a soft floor and toys and for older ones there are craft sessions.
  • edited October 2009
    Agree, can parents and babies not just go to Stoke Newington pubs, and leave Stroud Green for beer and football?

[edit: oh, they're all in the Queens on Crouch End Broadway - mental note never to go back there...]
    Parents & Babies

Hello all.

We offer our Parents & Babies sessions between 12-17.00 from Tuesdays through to Thursdays. This being pretty much a very quiet time for us.

We also set up the creche style area in our lounge which gives other customers the freedom of the rest of the pub.

I would also like to point out that the sessions are best for babies and we do not propose to be a "childcare venue" !. Merely a relaxed meeting place for parents with babies to meet up.

Cheers Adam H
    Oh yes, people staring at football on TV screens in pubs are far more interesting than parents, yawn
    Football screens are slightly more appalling a transgression in a pub, for sure, but that doesn't make loads of screaming children 'good', it just makes them 'slightly less bad'.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm happy for the Dairy to be child friendly. If the Noble followed suite and I was suddenly deprived of a decent adult friendly pub I'd be disappointed. I think it's reasonable to not want children around in a boozer in your downtime. Which is different from whether you prefer sports in a pub or not. It's all about options, ideally I'd have it as: - Dairy - child friendly, no sports - Noble - adult friendly, no sports - Larrik - angry sports Probably not far from how it is now though I realise they're all a little bit from each column. In reality I've not been troubled by kids in our pubs and I'm pretty short on tolerance of it.
    We went to the Noble at 5 tonight with 2 two year olds and a 3 month old (and 4 adults). The Dairy was closed and didnt fancy the Larrik. After an initial welcome, our two year olds foolishly began collecting the helium balloons that had been put in for the festivities. When the inevitable happened and one burst ,the man in charge( who looks like Mark Thomas) quite reasonably shouted at the kids "Can you put them back!" . We were the only people in the pub at the time and continued to be so for the next hour. I have to say the kids deserved it though as after all the Noble is an "adult friendly" pub, even though there were no adults there.
    I am all for children in pubs just to nark all those pompous and self regarding twits who do not think children are a part of normal human life.
    I'm all for kids in pubs too. It's their parents I object to.
    They are a normal part of life, so let's have more of them in prisons and strip joints and in the fire service and working rigs.
    Faeces (which, coincidentally, smell the same as babies) are part of normal human life too, but I tend to avoid any venue where they're prominent in the main rooms.
  • edited January 2010
    Surely there's still one or two parents out there that appreciate the idea of a pub being child free? It may be self-regarding to want a quiet pint without children but its not pompous. I can certainly understand bar workers getting vexed at parents letting their two year old's fuck around with the decorations they've put up for the festivities.
    I have always hated 'child free' pubs ever since Mrs K and I were made to sit outside in the (quote) 'garden' of a supposedly 'nice' pub in Cambridgeshire because we had a three year old child (asleep in a buggy) with us. It was January, it was freezing cold, we were desperately in need of food, Mrs K was pregnant and there was nowhere else to go.

There was not one ounce of ordinary decent humanity in that evil publican or any of his fat, sneering, self-opinionated, middle aged, middle class twat customers. In fact, I rather tend to avoid Cambridgeshire altogether now, full stop.

That was when I understood the word 'discrimination' and what, in some places, it must be like to be black.

So there. Stick that in your pint of Carlsberg and......
    @krs - Generalise much?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @David - sorry I missed the sign on the door of the Noble that said "no children and no touching the helium balloons". There was one saying "we have no sense of humour in here but apparently Simon Pegg and his dog regularly come in"
    He was in there the other day not with a dog but with Miranda Sawyer
    That'll be a no then.