Questions about buying curtains for the flat

I have never bought or put up curtains for the flat before.Please could I ask for some advice about what to do? Where do I buy the curtains? How do I measure up or do I need to get a handyman to do the measuring up and ordering etc?I want net curtains and the other curtains too.I'm on a tight budjet and in N4.Thank you very much.

Comments

• edited 10:39PM
    Opposite Woody's at the top of SGR... <http://www.jujodesigns.co.uk/>; Ignore the street number on the website. It's wrong!
  • LizLiz
    edited 10:39PM
    Whilst you might not want to buy from there if you are on a budget, the John Lewis website has quite a handy buying guide on curtains which covers all the different types, how to measure, etc.
  • IanIan
    edited 10:39PM
    Ikea is the answer for cheap curtains.
    Drape your new overcoat across the window. Make do and mend.
    I agree, the John Lewis website is very useful for helping you work out what type and how to measure.

Given that you're on a budget, remember to think about how much you'll save on heating if you get curtains that fit the window (e.g. if you get tab top ones, hang them high enough so you don't leave a big gap at the top) and are as think as possible and are lined. I was amazed last time I was looking for cheap curtains how few of them are lined: John Lewis has lined ones, but they're not cheap. I ended up buying some from Argos - very cheap, but you obviously have to buy based on the picture
    We bought our bedroom curtains from Ikea and I then lined them with blackout lining. By far the cheapest way to get decent curtains and they look fabulous. I would have been happy to make them myself from scratch - I've done it in the past - but it would have cost hundreds and hundreds of pounds using materials from John Lewis.
    Agree with Becky. And they have a clever screw-in wire thing for bay windows that is simple genius/
    As mentioned, the John Lewis website is great for showing you how to measure.

Ebay is a great place to buy curtains. There are loads of lovely vintage curtains on there, beautifully made and you can get them for a fraction of the cost of modern curtains.