Exotic of India

AliAli
edited December 2009 in Local discussion
Has a new menu which we tried last night. Had Chicken Tamba (lots of ginger), Paneer Shashlick, Lamb Ceylon, Chicken Passander, Bhuna Fish Masala along with some rice, veggie dishes and bread etc. It was excellent and a much better selection to choose from than before. Took 35 mins or so to cook that lot up so it was all very fresh. Seemed to be doing a storm on takeaways with also a few other people eating in.

Comments

• edited 5:47PM
    Good to hear - we have take away a lot from there and think it's really good. Best around here.
    Peckish Ali?
  • AliAli
    edited 5:47PM
    It was a bit of a feast. They even gave me a free Gin and Tonic while I waited ! Has had no influence at all on the review !
  • I do have a softspot for Erotic of India. So to speak. Great veg sabzi masala. Will have to investigate the new menu.
    So is E of I better than Tiffin Tin?
    I love the Tiffin Tin but am a little merry by the time I hit the Exotic.
    @Dion & Taff Bach - Tiffin Tin is noveau mini-chain, overpriced but beautifully packaged tosh.

Exotic is an independent outlet with a good cook - no comparison.

@Ali - yes they are welcoming, when I go to collect take away I always get a free beer and two poppadums whilst waiting
  • jj
    Those darkened windows hardly help pull in the crowds, but the Exotic is always good for a decent takeaway or quiet eat in.

OK, decor etc nothing fancy but who cares when it comes to a good curry? It gets my vote
  • IanIan
    Just been to Exotic of India with B and another SG friend. It was really really nice. Have been before a couple of times but it was this thread that prompted a Friday evening change of venue and was very happy with the meal.
    Petra and I think most Indians look like brothels round here.
  • IanIan
    Well as far as brothel food goes, and here I would have to say I have no personal expertise, it's very good. No need for extras.
    Tried Exotic on Xmas Eve and only because Dinner Box was closed. The food from Exotic was awful. The overriding flavour was of salt. The meat in the tandoori mixed grill was dry and over-cooked and the sag daal was just plain crap. Never again.

If that one meal was indicative of standards anyone who says Exotic is better than Dinner Box is clearly delusional.
    I must admit I have had one truly awful meal at the E but on the whole they get it right, if not up to the standard of the Dinner Box but then, I like to eat in away from the kids.
    I last tried Exotic many years ago and it was rubbish - really bad meat is my standout memory. I was considering a revisit as I presumed it must be under new management with the recent rave reviews. But I trust poxy's curry gauge more so will not be going near it.
  • edited February 2010
    I tried to buy the flat above the Exotic of India back in 2002 for £100k. The deal fell through because the Bangladeshis who own the restaurant and the freehold weren't insuring the building and so my mortgagee wouldn't complete. Then I got gazumped by a cash buyer. As a result, I have boycotted the restaurant.
    Slabber - why didn't you just insure the whole building yourself? It wouldn't have cost a vast amount, surely.