Why oh Why

edited December 2009 in General chat
As resident grump I propose a 'why oh why' thread. Any grumps and grievances on any subject at all. Go on, get it off your chest. You know you want to.

Here goes with my first:

Why, oh why does every cafe in the entire world (including all of them on SGR) put a napkin *UNDER* your food on the plate instead of alongside it. Result: soggy, filthy, stained napkin, not fit for purpose; scraps of paper clinging to your food. Pointless, stupid, irritating.

Why oh why?

(Stroud Green angle: can we declare SG the first national napkin-free zone, much as some places are now plastic bag free zones?)

And merry sodding Christmas.

Comments

• edited 5:25AM
    Couldn't agree with you more, Krappy.

In addition, they often put one under your cup.

As for my grumbles: where to start? At the age of 66, I have accumulated a lifetimesworth.

I would ban a lot of things, and people, from buses. As well as obvious offenders (mobile users, kids, people eating their breakfast and/or applying their make-up), I would target those who make the supporting rails greasy. Things are a little better at the top end of the rail, presumably because many offenders are kids, but not everyone is tall enough to reach that far. Chips and burgers would be forbidden, in my ideal world, but so also would women who, for some unknown reason, grease their hands, as we toil up Crouch Hill. Is it part of their make-up? See below.

The solution is to recruit people like my late mum, whose job, inter alia, was to check the hands of anyone proposing to lunch in the Indoor Gym. These were children, natch, but Gauleiter Checkski would extend the principle to all users of the W3, W7 and 210.

They could even install a tiny wash-basin at the entrance, with scented soap, and a nice old-fashioned towel, NOT paper, and NOT air-blower.... but I digress.

I'm going to enjoy this thread.
    At the end of para 4, I should have written 'see above'.

That's another thing about being 66 - you mislay things.
  • Wow... Its like Michael McIntyre never died...

Or was that a glorious dream?
  • My God. I have been outgrumped.
  • Its a gift...
    I think we need to write a thing for the site that puts people's ages by their username.
  • Why would that be?
    Good god. I lost my curmudgeonly title it seems quite some time ago without realising. I don't think I'm even in the top three any more.
    How dreadfully moany you are; Checkshi and Krappy. I hadn't realised, at this time of year too, aren't we all meant to be counting our blessings and being lovely or something.

I quite like women putting on make up, sometimes it's an amazing transformation (not always for the better) all that attention to detail is fascinating. I pick up tips as well. I think the napkin under the cup is useful, it stops the drips getting on your jumper when you sip some tea, especially if you're quite clumsy and always spilling loads of tea into the saucer. I agree about eating food on buses though, particularly the littering bit. I hate it when there's loads of greasy chicken bones on the floor, smothered with tomato sauce.

A thing that's being annoying me recently is whenever I go to the gym, it's seems to be heaving with blokes, doing very loud groaning. Last week there was one with his personal trainer. I couldn't see them, because they were round the corner, by the bench presses, but I could hear them, he doing very, very loud groaning, while his trainer was going, 'It's all you now, it's YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU, IT's ALL YOU, SO YOU CLIVE, OH YOU. It's quite showy off, and a bit of a performance, and obviously sounds a bit homo, but it's so stupidly macho at the same time.

It's catching though. I use a trainer sometimes and on Saturday he did the same thing to me. IT'S ALL YOU, YOU,TOTALLY YOU. Oh god stop it.
  • Wow oh Wow...

Is there anyone on here who can't remember the Falklands war?
    Me. Born October 1982.
  • I don't remember the Falklands War from that time, was watching Sesame Street or something.
    Being able to put make up on whilst on a moving vehicle and surrounded by people look like an art to me and probably requires a lot of skill so I'll not have a moan about that.
    I also like the serviette under my toast, I find it stops the bit of condensations you get when you put hot toast on a cold plate - rather a soggy napkin than soggy toast!
    I'm with you all on the eating on the bus, especially stinky 99p chicken. This leads to a moan...why are there so many Chicken shops - is too much to walk an extra 50mtrs to get chicken? I know we can't expect the Royal mile, but does Blackstock Road and Seven Sisters need so many fast food places, they and the litter they bring are disgusting! And I'm supposedly of the generation that loves fast food....
  • Yes!

I am a year short of 30, so I'm clinging on with dear life...

Any more?

I'm December 1980

lets get the voice of yoof on here...

But no sodding teenagers....

And no Faux teenage speak.... innit!
    i think i'm a yoof. i wasn't even born by the time the toyota war ended (had to look that one up). i don't have much to say to counter the whinges though. worse than greasy poles is greasy windows with the prints of peoples hair. yak.
  • Yeah...

Thats one in the face of the old cronies...

Take that society!!!
  • Why oh why is everyone getting at me? :-(
    hey krappy, cheer up, did you hear your name used as a trump card in a game of mornington crescent the other day? i smiled and thought of you.
  • ~~ simper ~~
  • Nobody's getting at you Krappy..

Just having some cynical, torturous fun..

It's Christmas after all and when better to partake in cynical, Torturous fun..

Have a very Krappy Khristmas One an All!!
    A few more grumbles, still to do with buses. We oldsters are past masters at this game!

A crowded bus is all the more infuriating because of anti-social bags. My fellow OAPs are bad enough, with their trolley things, but you young'uns are even more selfish when you stash your entire wardrobe into an enormous backpack, which you then deploy as a weapon. Take the bloody thing off, once in a while!

The seated classes are no better. Move up, you b------s! Do you really think your bag deserves a seat all to itself? And if you ARE moved up, would you mind not leaving waves of overflowing flesh on my side of the seat? I am not here addressing the adipose, who can't help it, but those who obviously resent my presence, and refuse to tuck themselves up a bit.

Finally (for now - I know you will all be delighted to hear), a perfect example of Sod's Law. When taking the bus up SGR from the station, why is it always trapped by the lights at Tolly Pk? I have made this journey time without number, over 30 years, and only once has Fate been on green. Mostly, you have enough time to read War and Peace, whilst waiting, and fuming, and avoiding the backpacks.

Why don't you walk, I hear you cry, especially as you are only going one stop? Ah. But what would life be like, without my grumble material?
  • I'm with Checkski, shouldering a backpack on a bus or tube is utterly antisocial. When someone wearing a backpack turns round, they can floor a whole aisle full of old ladies. Maybe that's the idea. Duh!
    Can we have Checkski as Gauleiter, please?

Obviously I've got a lot to moan about, but I don't know where to start.
    Got a lot to moan about but don't know where to start. God, I hate indecisive grumps who can't be assed to have a proper grip. Whats your problem? I suppose you expect someone else to do it for you. Typical. Merry Bloody Christmas, one and all!
  • Speaking of ages... I'm 29. I look 29. When I go to the States, I know to carry ID so they let me into bars. They're supposed to check everyone who looks under the age of 40. It's a stupid law, but at least it's clear. Here the drinking age, I believe, is 18. The signs in the shops say, "If you're lucky enough to look under-21, blah, blah, blah." I do not look under-21. Last month I went to buy a bottle of wine at Sainsbury's, along with some cheese and other non-teenage-street-drinker food. The girl wouldn't sell me the wine because I didn't have any ID on me. I told her I'm 29, but that obviously wasn't good enough. I don't drive, so the only valid form of ID I have is my passport. I'm not going to take it with me every time I leave the house on the off-chance that some checkout girl can't accurately guess my age, give or take a decade. And why should I? The signs say that they check people who look under-21, which I don't. This has become a regular thing, but with the exception of that one time in Sainsbury's, I've always been able to convince them that I'm not a teenager. But the hassle of it is almost enough to go teetotal.
  • Total stupidity.

Ignorant security people should always be challenged.

@ck them!
    @rainbow_carnage -

Lesson to be learned here: always go to your local offy to get that emergency bottle of vodka. You might have to queue up with all the underage drinkers but that's democracy in action ...
    Geez to be 29 and mistaken for a 17 year old... So with Sophie about the greasy hair windows.
    What's the difference between a table and a solid wood bar? In the FF apparantly, if you're sitting at the bar and there's people sitting at the table behind you, it's you that should move forward when somebody wants to pass between the two. And on the same subject, do young people nowadays have no sense of feeling? Don't they realise when they've knocked into some one? And when did the words 'excuse me' and 'sorry' change their meanings to become terms of aggression?
    Well, excuse me!
    @lelba1 Spot on, well done bar-hoggers drive you nuts don't they!

@jungle face jake
    The Falklands wasn't a war it was a 'conflict' according to the cow that refuses to die and who's name I cannot bring myself to speak. On the upside back then you could very decent bottles of Argentinian wine knocked down to 99p in Jacks on SGR!!