Partners for Islington

edited January 2010 in Local discussion
Anyone have any experience of Partners for Islington (i.e. the Council's PFI people) coming to do major repair works? They're due round us in a few months and I was wondering what the odds were that they'd rip out the lovely old door to the house I live in and bung a new one in, get rid of the old tiles in the entrance, replace sash windows with PVC etc...

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if they'd keep the period features without using the godawful phrase 'period features'. Aargh. It's just that they're pretty and I like the stained glass in the door.

Comments

• edited 4:46PM
    It's possible that it would depend in part whether you're in a conservation area. You can't remove period features without planning permission if you are.
    Partners did some repairs on the flat I previously rented and they were good. They kept the old Victorian sash windows but rehung them so that they didn't let in draughts and put locks on the windows. They also rehung and repainted the old door. They were very polite and quiet too - always a plus with builders. Seem to be keener on maintainence than replacement. Good luck, hope all goes well.
    Thanks Arkady and Annie. We're not in a conservation area, but fingers crossed we get the same experience as Annie.
    I've had very mixed experiences with them and generally the more senior the staff the better. So my two tips would be (a) keep good records of any problems, and (b) if you do have problems try to get them moved up to senior managers as quickly as possible.

That said, hope it all goes well and you never need this advice.
    Thanks markpack too. Here goes filing everything.
    @Mirandola You'll find some detailed discussion of PFI works and other borough-wide issues relating to LBI and Homes For Islington on <a href="http://www.islingtonresidents.org.uk">www.islingtonresidents.org.uk</a>, you can signup for email updates.

You may also want to check www.fitaislington.org.uk and if you're a leaseholder check www.ila.org.uk