Treehuggers needed.

Railtrack have decided to cut down perilous trees by MPC, MPV, Victoria Rd and the grove.
They haven't done this for a few years now.
If they want to spend money, you'd think they'd be better off actually repairing the bridge which is not in good condition.

As in the past, some of their choices don't coincide with the judgements of residents as to what's an amenity and what's a danger to the public.
The sub, sub contractors don't really have a clue.
If anyone is able to intervene by writing to them, calling them or even braving the deep water and actually trying to speak to the Haringey tree officer, that would be great.
Ed? Lynne? Treehuggers?

Comments

• It seems that the Poplar they are removing as a danger must be replaced within three months with a new tree.

If we can't stop it being cut down, can our representatives help to make sure that the replacement actually happens?

Past dealings with the Haringey tree officer don't suggest this is likely. The last time a Poplar fell it was not replaced.
  • edited 8:25PM
    Also, worth taking some photos now to record what it looks like pre "work".
    Sorry Jeremy Too late, the right hand London plain has come down as it was rotten. We should fight to have it replaced with a native tree. Oak, or a grove of Silver Birch?
    I thought that trees are subject to planning permission. Can you not raise your concerns via that process?
    Only if they have a Tree Preservation Order on them.
  • There was no preservation order on the poplar tree they felled.

Opinions were divided over the extent of the rot though to be fair, several poplars of the same age have fallen recently nearby.

I suspect that the removal of that tree had a lot more to do with the new gated community being built there than it did with any tree risk assessments undertaken by Haringey's overworked and largely useless tree officer.
    Gated community? Where? Are we getting our own Bel-air/Johannesbourg-style walled enclave?
  • RegReg
    edited 8:25PM
    This part of SG is a Conservation Area and all trees in Conservation Areas are protected (in effect a blanket TPO). You need to either get permission or have lodged your intentions for a six week period. Does it look like this took place?
  • Sadly yes, there was an application to have the tree removed.
    They waved the e-mail at me.

The gated community is being squeezed into the space between the western edge of MPV, the Holly Park estate and the railway line. Gruesome murders took place there years ago. I can't help but wonder what they'll call it.

Before anybody asks, we objected to its gated character and were told that its gatedness--like increased traffic flow perpetrated by gatees--was not a legitimate objection.

The council apparently like gated communities as they enhance security.
    Jeremy, do you happen to know the planning reference for this new development? If not, is it likely to have a MPV address? Is it where you can see the blue gate on Google street view?
    Arky
    <a href="http://www.palmhurstgroup.com/what-we-do/projects/03/" target="really">Gated community.</a>
    The first go round I objected to (I think it was) 9 townhouses being built with only 9 parking spaces. Parking on mpvillas is already bad.... I wasn't able to lodge an objection the second time as the notice period was during a school holiday when we were away.
    I can't see any rot in the stump of the removed tree either.