Filthy neighbour

There is some bloke up the road from me who is a really filthy neighbour. I mean really filthy. We've both lived here for years and I've seen his property fall apart and his front garden (if you can call it that) degenerate into an overgrown weedy patch of shite-infested triffid grass and dumping ground for old half bricks and other people's rubbish.

His house is full of junk too as you can glimpse though the windows (never washed in 40 years). He is not quite in the class of that bloke from Crouch End who got on the telly but he must be close.

Now the dustbinmen say they are refusing to empty his dustbin because they will not walk in the long grass because they have seen rats.

I went and knocked on his door yesterday and gave him a polite roasting along the lines of 'I'm ashamed of this street , and what are you going to do about the rats?', to which his response of course was 'mind your own business' and then he started ranting and said 'Can't you see I've had it all cleaned?'. Oh yeah? Mad as sevenpence. Mad but luckily not particularly scary.

Now people have started chucking their shit and old food boxes on top.

Apparently you can't do anything if someone has a squalid front garden and lives in shit. Or is there? ANy suggestions?

Comments

• edited 10:24AM
    Got the wrong end of the stick about this post.

Title interested me, then after reading realised that the word filthy conjures up very very different images.

My suggestion would be to mind your own business as he suggested.

If you genuinely think it is a health hazard then you can call environmental health, and then stand back and laugh as his house is ransacked and he is made to pay for bringing Shame into The Utopia of N4.

I LOVE N4
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If it's a problem that affects the rest of the area, not just in terms of health (e.g. rats) but generally dereliction, there are legal powers councils can use to take action. Hastings Council was one of the pioneers in doing this and I'm sure I've read recently about a London council starting to do quite a lot in this respect, but can't find the story at the moment.
    @ misscara damn, but that you are lazy, the rubsters garden is a disgrace anyway, DIY
    Well hot damn, after that telling off, I'm going to let my own yard go to hell and bring on the rats! And we can all go to hell in a handcart
    I'd imagine that environmental health could intervene. But if its a case of someone not being able to manage their house due to illness or age, you could ask social services to have a look. If it's as bad as you say on the outside, it could be as bad or worse on the inside. Sometimes people are determined that they don't want help, especially the first time they are approached, but agree to have help after a while.

I've known of neighbours living in squalid states for apparently years, and seen their places tranformed after accepting help from social services. I think the issue in many cases is that these people are simply not "on the radar" for social services or environmental health, until it gets really bad and someone, typically a neighbour, intervenes.
    Sorry to see some of the negative responses to this question. I would say that it is not only KRS's right to intervene here, but is social responsibility - both to his neighbour and to the street/wider community. A
  • edited March 2010
    Well that all depends on how much of a state the place is, and is not for KRS to decide.

If there is a health risk then contact Environmental Health.
    If there is a genuine concern about the mans mental or physical health then contact social services.

If it is a matter of 'Bringing Down the Neighbourhood' then maybe you have to look at yourself.

You have tried to speak to the man, if there is no reasoning then you have to make a decision.

@ Arkady, I wouldn't say the responses are negative, within most of the rantings there is the only advice that is possible, and that is do something or butt out.

There is advice there from everyone and if KRS takes it then great, there cannot be much harm in following it up, unless it's an over reaction and then he'll have to live with any repercussions.

Either way it is a lovely SG.org chat, that as always highlights peoples faults (myself included) and painful over-compensation and hypocrisy.. it is rife on this site and I love prodding it and laughing at it and actually learning from the few sensible or actually helpful posts.

Sorry for the Essay - there's my own hypocricy right there.

I LOVE N4
    I think 'overcompensation' should be hyphenated at the very least - I had to reread your penultimate paragraph twice to understand it. Take me to the church of the KRS.
    @tosscat - are you suggesting I start a new religion?

I believe it is a sure fire way of making a good living these days.
    Wow..

You are correct.. I have hyphenated it now as not to cause further offence.

I Love N4(?)
  • AliAli
    edited 10:24AM
    Can we get the address so we can have a look and then vote on what to do ? Did anyone do anything about the jolly tube man ?
    I forgot to get JTM's name, and he's on holiday for two weeks now. I'll raise this again when he returns, but no-one took up my offer to have their names added to my letter so I'll probably just end up sending it on my own behalf with a nod to SG.org. Arky
    Who the blazes is Jolly Tube man? I just looked him up without success.

I christen my neighbour Rubbish Man. In every sense.
    He cropped up in my Who is Your Favourite Shop Assistant on SGR thread. Probably on page 2 now. Some happy chappy who works on the Victoria line platform. He seems to have a lot of fans.
    Ignore the above. It was the Favourite Shop Assistant thread. I can't remember which one it was now.